Why did you get rid of the FCC petition?

TonyQuinn

Outrageous behaviour by the administrator I believe. Where is the epetition re First Capital? It just disappeared. If people can't use this forum to highlight issues that affect every day life in Dulwich, then what is the point? I insist that you put it back. If it's good enough for Downing Street website, then it's good enough for the East Dulwich Forum don't you think?

What the hell are you talking about, it's not an East Dulwich issue? How do thousands and thousands of East Dulwich people commute to work every day? What a ludicrous line of thought?

Administrator, I urge you again to reinstall it on the home page. It is a matter of grave importance for the community you dedicate your life to.

Nice attitude, particularly to someone who's simply trying to assist you.

My understanding is that this forum is for issues which are specific to life in East Dulwich. The Lounge or the Drawing Room are for issues which are of more general interest. The Thameslink service is a more general topic, although it obviously affects people in ED. I'm not an admin, I was just suggesting why one of them might have moved it.

*slightly nervous*

TonyQuinn...just a little suggestion...you could PM Admin and discuss the matter that way...rather than vent your spleen in the way that you have. Admin are not an unreasonable bunch...yes I get miffed when my posts get deleted...but there is usually a good reason for the deletion...and where there isn't, I argue my case. This method works for me and is a great deal more pleasant for everybody. As I said, it's just a little suggestion...

Perhaps admin felt that, since FCC operate through PR/Denmark Hill and not ED station, it was not strictly an ED issue (albeit that some ED residents doubtless use their services)? Just a thought. I am sure that if I started a thread about the Jubilee line, for example, it too would be swiftly moved to the Lounge, even though that is something that similar (or greater) number of ED residents might use on a daily basis.

I'm no expert at the petitioning game, but isn't the idea to gather as many signatures as possible?

The page you link to seems to be more interested in looking like a second-rate Viz spoof than gathering signatures.

Indeed, you won't even see the word 'petition' unless you scroll down through though two pages of stuff and happen to spot the miniscule petition box to click on.

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't worry, the lounge gets plenty of traffic,

> lounging is not a punishment.

It's true...I think your post will get far more publicity in the Lounge. So you should be happy!! (*big grin*)

As most of my work comes from the rail industry I always like to look at these petitions to see how accurate they really are. The website in question is mainly propoganda and I suspect has connections with a wider campaign against FirstGroup that originates from the teamster unions in the States. The reality is that FCC currently runs at a loss. The Thameslink programme is driven by the Department for Transport (DfT). Yes Sir Moir Lockhead does get paid a lot, and yes, he has a hobby - breeding rare cattle. Part of the current problem with loss-making rail franchises is that the subsidy process (referred to as "revenue support") that was created by the DfT to stop them going bust has a number of major failings (and which I'm writing an article about at the moment).

I use FCC a lot as I spend several months of the year commuting to London from Kings Lynn, as well as using the newish Thameslink service from Denmark Hill. My observation is that they have struggled since Elaine Holt left, however, this in part has co-incided with the downturn in revenue. Like several other rail companies they have got problems with drivers working weekends. Whether the company was in public or private ownership would probably make no difference here although historically industrial action tends to be more active where a company is under National ownership.

On a day-to-day basis, less overhead line problems (Network Rail) and cows on the line (Farmers) would make my life better, as would better communication between Network Rail and FCC about cancellations and early termination of services.

On a separate note, Southern (the East Dulwich station operator) is currently advertising for a Commuter representative to take part in its bi-monthly sessions with senior managers. From memory the deadline is 15 January - details can be found on the Southern or Go-Ahead website.

peckhamboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Perhaps admin felt that, since FCC operate through

> PR/Denmark Hill and not ED station, it was not

> strictly an ED issue (albeit that some ED

> residents doubtless use their services)?

I agree. FirstCapital goes through Nunhead and plenty of Nunhead residents use this forum. I had issues yesterday on FCC trains - took me 2 and 3/4 hours to get to work due to delays and cancellations but I don't blame FCC.

Just had a look through the site and it seems to me the the main gripe is not actually with FCC (or though they seem to think it is) but actually with the franchise system.

Most of the issues that seem to have been published on the site seem to me to be out of the control of FCC and come down to problems with the track/electrical supply etc etc

I don't doubt that there are problems with FCC but the site does not make it clear. From what I remember they were brought in because the previous owner of the franchise could not cope.

Good evening

I have spoken to my colleague briefly at FCC, he is aware of this thread . Can't promise anything but we will be speaking tomorrows about the forum and the contribution I make on here.

You never know he may set something up

Barry Jones

Station manager

Mr Jones, I appreciate your involvement but really unsure about what you mean.

Anyway, it is my great pleasure to report that my journey into work was textbook.

As I arrived at Denmark Hill, the 8.26 was arriving, and it was one of those glammed up pink ones and not too crowded. It was a joyous start to the day, door to door in less than an hour.

That was the first journey this week that went to plan (forgetting snow on Wednesday) and I can honestly say that over the last month or two I can count the number of quality journeys like this morning's on one hand. So, the laws of probability conclude that it's a case of luck, the way the stars are aligned, whatever. The announcer at Kings Cross after all said the following two trains were cancelled because of technical faults.

Therefore commuters, please sign petition if you wish.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FirstCC/