seven school children mugged

dancet

Not exactley, but Local Conservative chap was door knocking yesterday and he mentioned this, and did say that the (people responsibible) where perhaps NOT School aged but older.

Its terrible, but if the kids had tried to defend themselves I'M SURE They would be the ones in the WRONG.

I am afraid school boys are regularly mugged in south london, it is an unpleasant fact of life, maybe more so for boys. Mine have been mugged several times, or attempted mugging, threatened with a knife at 7.30 am at a bus stop in west norwood. A friends boy was mugged by a group of boys whilst trying to take sanctuary in a shop.

It is going to happen and they need to know how to deal with it so that they are not frightened to travel by themselves. Not having a nice phone/i pod/ and limited cash helps.

I think the muggers get a high from just trying it on and scaring the little mites.

:(

My son goes to school Upper Norwood and hasn't been mugged yet, but he never takes a phlne to school ( for that reason) and never has more than ?5 cash about his person.

Talking to my daughter I can confirm, boys are often mugged for their phones. Fact of life in South London.

My 13-yr-old son was mugged walking down Greendale on Thursday 11th February at around 8am. He was approached by a black youth aged between 15 and 20 wearing a black coat, a beanie hat and with a checkered scarf (those "Palestinian' type scarves) over his face. He was on a small bike, brightly coloured orange and blue. The youth started talking to my son, then demanded his phone, showing him a large knife concealed in the sleeve of his coat (the handle showing).

I absolutely detest the way this kind of dangerous, threatening robbery is considered "a fact of life" in South London. Why should it be? Why do we accept these evil fuckers intimidating and hurting our kids?

He was a child on his way to school, early in the morning, ffs, in broad daylight, with dozens of people passing by.

victoriapeckham Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My 13-yr-old son was mugged walking down Greendale

> on Thursday 11th February at around 8am. He was

> approached by a black youth aged between 15 and 20

> wearing a black coat, a beanie hat and with a

> checkered scarf (those "Palestinian' type scarves)

> over his face. He was on a small bike, brightly

> coloured orange and blue. The youth started

> talking to my son, then demanded his phone,

> showing him a large knife concealed in the sleeve

> of his coat (the handle showing).

>

> I absolutely detest the way this kind of

> dangerous, threatening robbery is considered "a

> fact of life" in South London. Why should it be?

> Why do we accept these evil @#$%& intimidating and

> hurting our kids?

>

> He was a child on his way to school, early in the

> morning, ffs, in broad daylight, with dozens of

> people passing by.

This sort of thing has being going on since i were a lad (20years ago...)

And not just confined to London.

There is nothing new to this, bullying/beatings/petty gangs etc sadly for

some it's part of growing up in an urban environment.

Sensible kids do the right thing and either give over whatever they're being mugged for or run!

You just learn to keep your head down and avoid situations like those.

It was and still is part of growing up - learning to 'man-up'......

I hope these incidents have been reported to the police - they can build up a pattern and possible suspects. A friend of mine now attends the Safer Neighbourhood Police Meetings at ED Police Station and feeds back many reports of young people being targeted. PC Mick Bell at ED Police -goes round to schools to talk about crime and young people. If your child's school is in ED you may want to link up with PC Bell to seek advice as the best way of dealing with these situations.

I got jumped at least three times when I was a kid growing up in Worcester 25 years ago. It was hardly a hotbed of urban violence.

The first time they stabbed my football several times, the second time I was chucked into a canal and they stole my bike, the third was inter-school rivalry.

That doesn't make it right, but should reassure us it's not some sort of 'new' London thing.

Having said that I do think giving small children hundreds of pounds worth of portable high value electronics is just asking for trouble. They're even easier to fence than swanky trainers.

Always have a small amount of cash on you - about 20p. if you say you have none you will not be believed and will have to take your shoes off etc.

Make sure you have a ?5 to ?10 crap phone. esp good if it has an unusual charger so they cant charge it up.

make sure your phone has no more than ?10 credit on it.

have a crap watch

have shoes you can run in.

be aware of where you are at all times- know shortcuts- nearest safe place etc

be able to run

be able to read body language- notice if others are crossing the road towards you

never use earphones as they blunt your senses.

walk with friends as much as you can.

have a crap bike or one that looks crap.

I could add other comments about the profile of the offenders but suffice to say for boys it is almost always teenage boys-usually not wearing an obvious school uniform, and maybe wearing scarf/ hood.

womanofdulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Always have a small amount of cash on you - about

> 20p. if you say you have none you will not be

> believed and will have to take your shoes off

> etc.

> Make sure you have a ?5 to ?10 crap phone. esp

> good if it has an unusual charger so they cant

> charge it up.

> make sure your phone has no more than ?10 credit

> on it.

> have a crap watch

> have shoes you can run in.

> be aware of where you are at all times- know

> shortcuts- nearest safe place etc

> be able to run

> be able to read body language- notice if others

> are crossing the road towards you

> never use earphones as they blunt your senses.

> walk with friends as much as you can.

> have a crap bike or one that looks crap.

> I could add other comments about the profile of

> the offenders but suffice to say for boys it is

> almost always teenage boys-usually not wearing an

> obvious school uniform, and maybe wearing scarf/

> hood.

Sounds like my approach to the Forum drinks