Moral maze

RosieH

I'm feeling a bit torn. I've just sold something on ebay for more than ?10 more than it costs in the shops.

I was transparent about what it was and the cost of it at retail, yet the bidding went a bit mad towards the end and someone chose to spend ?37 on something they could buy elsewhere for ?25. I can't help but think she must think it's something else and feel bad taking the money.

Is it a case of caveat emptor (been reading that a lot on here this week) and should I shut up and spend my ill-gotten gains on some fabulous Diptyque candles from CharlieCharlie, or should I give her some money back to soothe my pricked conscience?

I've noticed that bidders can go completely mad at times. Complete the sale: take the payment and deliver the item. If the buyer is dissatisfied you'll soon know about it by way of a SNAD dispute - in which case you may have to make a full refund. No point in pre-empting the issue. Just my opinion.

You must have seen these places in the far flung colonies where a person gathers together a bunch of people by claiming huge discounts on goods and proceeds to push the price up by getting mates to keep bidding, its one of the oldest scams in the world. What happens is the crowd become overcome with the desire to purchase this product simply because its being auctioned so therefore must have a value.

E bay is simply the 21st century version of this but without the shill.

Rosie from a purely pragmatic point of view there is no moral obligation upon you even if the person paid ?100. They were in an open bidding competition and they chose how much they were prepared to pay.

But the person whose life is run on pure pragmatism is hardly human.

The issue is not whether it is wrong or right but that it is bothering you. That fact that it is means you are one of those people with an annoyingly overdeveloped sense of fairness. It can be a right bastard sometimes but experience has shown me that if it bothers you now it will carry on bothering you and so you may well feel a lot better if you just bung the person ?10 back.

It doesn?t really make any sense but at least you can take some solace in the fact that even though you?re a bit of a bleeding heart at least you aren?t a cunt like every other cunt in this fucking world.

It's called capitalism - any good has a cost, which you Rosie have paid. It also has a value, best decided by the market. Your buyer is presumably satisfied else they would have bought at that price. They may value the joy (??) of buying on ebay, the fact that they didn't have to go out to the shops, that they live 200 miles from a Boots.

Hang on to your profit and use it wisely - beer, wine, chocolates, washing up liquid, charity donation, garden seeds, the choice is yours.

I think I've figured out what might have happened in this case. A bidder mistakenly bid ?35 thinking the item was priced in US dollars. That bid was cancelled either at the last minute or just after the auction had ended leaving the person who had just outbid him or her as the winner.

A misunderstanding by one particular bidder fuelled a bidding frenzy leading the winner to pay over the odds.

I've only recently got hooked on the buy and sell section and I think it's great.

RosieH, I've bought and sold on E Bay. My conscience would be pretty clear if I was you. E-Bay self regulates.

It was a lesson to me when I bought the Nintendo Wii for my son two or three years back ( when they were launched). I hadn't anticipated the arrival of the wii but plenty did. People bought with the absolute knowledge that they could flog them on e-bay for an approximate ?100 instant profit. I paid over the odds but I was grateful to obtain an item that I couldn't get in the shops.

Your buyer has to accept responsibility fot their own bidding. That's the way e-bay works . It and you are not registered charities.

I am actually curious as to what body ltion is worth ?35.::o