The England flag

????

With the World Cup approaching they are beginning to appear. Where are you on this?

I must admit, I don't share the cultural cringe that seems to inflict a reasonable number of my white, metropolitan, liberal friends. Looking around already and certainly in the world cup 8 years ago (I was in Spain 4 years ago)I noticed that in inner London you see just as many english people from ethnic minorities wearing england shirts or with flags on their cars as white fans.

I think one of the best things in recent years is that the English flag has been taken back from the nazis but I suspect if I hung a StGeorges cross out of my house window I'd be regraded as politically suspect or even a BNP supporter by a few of the usual suspects.

Nope, that's a matter of taste. Funnily enough, If West Ham get to the Cup Final anytime whilst I'm still alive I would stick my hammers flag up in the window...until the missus saw it anyway. I will be wearing an england T-shirt I've got...but it's not "No Surrender" or any other crap like that.

Oh dear - far too obvious attempt to start a thread to provoke "white, metropolitan, liberal friends"

1/10 - see me after school

I think there was a fairly epic thread on here ages ago. I agree with you that the whole thing is a fair way to being reclaimed from the idiots BUT I still maintain that all flagwaving by any nation is fairly silly

Yours

A White, Metropolitan, Liberal Friend

;-)

A World Cup without flags would be a dull old thing Sean. It's the spirit of the flag waving that's important surely? You don't strike me as the sort of fella who would don themselves in head to toe in Emerald Green if Henry hadn't of cheated and fair play to you but I think we (and I do specifically mean England, rather than ingerlund) have now moved far enough away from old tribal crap that most people are comfortable with this now and can join in in the carnival surely?

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>...If

> West Ham get to the Cup Final anytime whilst I'm

> still alive...

Wear/hang your England T-shirt/flag with pride.

Can't say I'd suggest the same course of action in respect of your West Ham T-shirt though...

*flees the country*

I like carnivals and have no problem with the England flag. This is England after all. Although I think the union jack is prettier.

I do have a problem with the slack-jawed, troglodytes who always seem to appear underneath the flag being generally unpleasant and murdering songs all in the name of soccer. The type of flag is pretty much interchangeable.

I saw some in St James Park a few days ago. It was a bit like one of the those documentaries about chimps where the group of young males who want to be noticed and make a statement about their place in the troop run around screeching, banging on things and flinging shit.

Or perhaps that?s being unfair. The chimps do have significantly more finesse.

The more the merrier as far as im concerned. There will be flags from all the qualified countries hanging in windows across london during the world cup so we need lots of england flags. It will be add lots of colour to the city.

I remember crossing a road in london in 1994 wearing an ireland shirt and was almost run over by 3 cars carrying flag waving italians shouting out the window tooting horns etc. Fabulous stuff.

That was just before: ireland 1 Italy 0 - Pizza cake.

Still cant forgive Henry. No irish flags this year.

Who is going to win this world cup ting anyway? Do they have a good flag? I would like to know as they are the team I?m going to support. I?ve never supported a world cup winning team in one of the lesser sports before and would like to give it a go.

Nothing wrong with it. It's an opportunity to show some patriotism (if you're that way inclined) without it being confused for nationalism, and all the nasty stuff that can come with it.

And as quids suggests, it could potentially (ironically) bring English people together, regardless of background.

Personally I wouldn't dream of putting up an England flag, but I've no problem with others doing so in this context.

I have it on good authority that TV production companies have double their number of 'spotters' this year - charged with desperately seeking-out any vaguely attractive females in the crowd, preferably showing as much norkage as possible, draped in the cross of St G.

I have a crocheted Spain baby blanket (and dulwich hamlet scarf), done by an Irish friend as obviously she's got nothing better to do this summer.

Very attractive colours; I suggest everyone support Spain as they should go past the quarter finals, or are the arsenal fans too bitter at the moment. Too soon?

Any countries in pink and blue at all? (actually I've got Rory two England tops too, mostly to wind up his irish mum).

Oh, and 0/10, poor show quids ;-P

The use of an England flag I *really* hate is people who traipse off to cricket test matches in far-flung countries and hang flags with "WHFC" or "Chelsea Forever" or "Swindon Town" or some such printed across the middle line. IT'S BLOODY CRICKET PEOPLE! I don't give a monkey's what football team you care to watch.

Phew. I feel better now.

Really Men...

This bunting, a bag of sweets from "Hope & Greenwood" plus a substantial picnic, all made by her indoors

http://doyoumindifiknit.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54ef704a8883301287790536c970c-800wi

Whilst listening to the "Match" on a portable "Roberts" radio

Jumpers for goal posts....I mean, what more can a man want

Then home on time for tea, so as not to worry the wife's pretty little head

Indeed.....

W**F

* ties handkerchief *