Bored of decorating

louisiana

This decorating lark is a drag. The sanding seems to be endless (skirting boards the size of a fence, ultra-high ceilings which add another half room to the top of every room etc.). But I have to get it done. Currently working on another big room, having taken care of the smaller ones.

How can I make it go faster and seem less tedious?

You doing this all on your own? Other people around helps not just with division of labour but morale as well.

And Tunes?. Good tunes

Or use iplayer to listen again to kermode and Mayo?s film review from Friday on 5 Live

Or any of Danny Baker?s afternoon shows on BBC London

Breaking off to browse the forum will mean it will take 4 times as long tho. So stop that for a start!

Yeah, Sean, the Forum is a menace, but my excuse is that a delivery van arrived with next-stage materials :-S

What I need is a Speaking Forum :)

I've got other peeps doing the difficult stuff periodically (stove install, underfloor insulation, plumbing...) while I do some of the think work (e.g. researching insulation materials and U-values) plus the easy, boring stuff. Hence the decorating.

Yes, karter, the prep work is what is driving me mad. The skirting boards measured in hectares with all those itsy-bitsy fiddly shapes. Trouble is, I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I'm sure most people would just do a quick and bad sand and then slap on the paint.

Right, back to the land of sanding...I may be some time

louisiana Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What I need is a Speaking Forum :)

That would be fabulous, especially if one could choose voices to allocate to posters. I wonder who might suit Dermot Morgan's voice?

I've already had lots of peeps in to do major stuff, resulting in bills totalling a very, very chunky 5-fig sum, so now with the tail end bits I'm trying to focus the money spending on things I cannot do (e.g. chimney rip-out, stove and insulated flue install = 2.5k; blinds and curtains > 5k; underlay and carpets circa 6k) rather than on those I can. The 'budget' (ha!) did kind of go out of control at one point (kitchen!) though there have been lower bills than expected elsewhere (e.g. electrics), and thankfully there have not been too many rotten joists etc. along the way.

You have my sympathies. We've decorated 90% of the flat, but had to stop to do something else - and can we get back to doing that last 10%? :-S There's probably only a couple of solid days work left to do, plus trying time, but there's far more fun things to do in the summer than paint skirting boards. So whatever you do, make sure you finish the job!

Over the years I've done up 3 homes so I do know how hard it is to motivate yourself and live with the mess etc. I'm just beginning a major refurbishment of my current property but I won't be doing anything myself (other than shopping). I couldn't do it again - 3 is enough - don't have the energy for a 4th - I'm paying someone else.

It's hard hard work. Maybe get a friend to help you - call in some favours. Very best of luck.

Px

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When you first start applying the paint, you've

> nearly finished.

> 90% of decorating is preparation of surfaces.

I think I must have heard this approximately five hundred times now, all accompanied by a sagely nod. And after painting nearly all the places I've lived in, I can confirm that it's absolute balls.

Ha ha. Yes, quite right, *Bob*. It never goes to plan, does it.

I've lost count of how many times, after 'completing' a redecoration, that I've sat down and seen it. Yes, that's right, we've all been there. You know, that patch you thought would be O.K and no-one would ever notice is now staring back at you. Silently laughing at you.