Should the RAF impose a no fly zone in Libya?

Chick

To enforce a no fly zone we would need planes (of which there are now very few) and, more importantly, a suitable base within range but free from interference - that's best provided by an aircraft carrier - which we have just dispensed with.

So no matter what we should do - we can't.

The current degree of instability is a very good reason for maintaing appropriate armed forces, ours have just been emasculated by the Treasury.

Weirdly I thought we normally lifted no fly zones when dictators are quelling insurrections.

The Iranian ships going through Suez* is first sign of exactly what the west fears, middle east governments doing what they want, rather than what they're paid to do. Imagine what they'll do when they're answerable to the people**.

Double edged sword that democracy malarkey isn't it!!

Interesting times ahead!!

*of which I personally have no issue

**probably try and improve the economy, a surfeit of young unemployed men is feeding this wave of jasmine after all.

Theoretically Cyprus could be used to impose a no-fly zone albeit with air to air refuelling, but the RAF has lost so much capability it would be difficult to sustain it over time.

More importantly, the days when the UK could politically impose its will in such as way are long, long gone and rightly so.

I suspect that any western led intervention would simply provide a rallying point for the Gadaffi regime and would be counter productive. An Arab led intervention would be better, but most of the neighbouring Arab countries have their own problems.

I fear the Libyans are on their own.

Yes, I understand where you're coming from, but I'm neither in Benghazi, or being bombed/persecuted by my country's military. But I still don't see the need for British military intervention. Let them sort this out for themselves. And if your counter-argument, which you're more than entitled to make, is that we should be protecting our oil interests in Libya, then let me declare now that I think this country should be making the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy, and investigating new, more productive ways of harnessing renewable energy. If we do, then we'd have a lot less cause to be interferring and getting ourselves caught-up in the affairs of (often unstable) countries that possess the reserves of oil that the base infrastructure of the western world currently relies on.

If I had a counter-argumnet, it would be that, within reason, we should offer support to people fighting for democracy and human rights. In extremis, this might mean military support.

In ten years, Libya could be a fully functioning democracy, where human rights and the rule of law are enshrined and where the citizens drive around in electric cars and carry re-usable bags bearing the legend "Tripoli Says "La" To unwanted Bags