Can I appeal against parking ticket with wrong reg no?

caz

I got a parking ticket on Saturday but the registration number on the ticket has the second to last letter wrong. It was a 'fair cop guv ' and there is a picture of my transgression but.........? Any chance I can appeal?

There is a big difference between a ticket that has been incorrectly issued (ie not complied with statutory procedure) and one that simply has a typo. I assumed from the OP's reference to a photo of the transgression that there is a evidential record of the registration number. Of course, if there isn't, then nobody knows.

HAL9000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The ticket is almost certainly invalid but one has

> to submit a valid argument within the designated

> time - the relevant precedents can be found at the

> PATAS website.

I'm interested in your certainty that this ticket would be invalid. I can't find anything on the PATAS website to suggest that. Do you know of a specific case where a simply typographical error (rather than an error of law or procedural compliance) has led to a positive outcome?

The standard argument to any pcn is that it was issued to the wrong vehicle/person, or it was issued incorrectly (ie that no parking offence actually occurred, it was issued after the car had driven away, or particularly legally significant matters such as the date are missing off the ticket) but there doesn't seem to be any doubt here.

Obviously, if the OP wishes to argue that he doesn't have a car with that registration, and if it's found that the photo is not admissible, then he may get away with it - and it's probably well worth a carefully worded challenge within the time limits - but I can't see the precedent.

From the Which? website...

My parking ticket doesn't include the correct registration number for my car. Can I appeal?

When issuing a parking ticket, parking attendants must record a number of details, including the registration number of the vehicle.

If key details such as the registration number are recorded incorrectly, the parking ticket is invalid.

However, if the parking ticket error is slight ? such as the vehicle colour noted as being grey instead of silver ? this alone is unlikely to invalidate the parking ticket.

Apparently, the ticket is invalid as the contravention as described did not occur (as the registration on the ticket is for another vehicle). Internet wisdom (so take it with a pinch of caution) says that the council will chase the incorrect reg and either the vehicle will not exist or they will contact the wrong person who, unless they are are unlucky enough to own the same make and colour, will tell them to sod off.

However, keep the ticket. It is your evidence they messed up.

Interesting Loz. Shame Which? doesn't refer to any case law but they're a reliable source. I've just done a quick Google search and come across some discussion elsewhere on this. There's a lot of advice to do nothing (if you can hold your nerve) as the council is only allowed to ask the DVLA for address details of the vehicle recorded on the PCN so they shouldn't be able to follow it up. (Breach of data protection if they go fishing).

A number of years ago I was stopped by a Police officer, who said my parked vehicle was causing an obstruction, and that I would receive a summons to appear in court. I gave details of my name and address and duly received said summons to appear at South Western Magistrates Court.The charge was read out and the Magistrate asked if I had anything to say.I said that the registration mark on the summons did not relate to my vehicle or any vehicle I had ever driven (One letter of the registration was incorrect).Magistrate said "no case to answer, case dismissed".

Similar to Dryxster I also had a parking ticket from Westminster and the guy had made the Y of my vehicle to look like an X. They must have found my address by using the correct reg no but still accused me of parking a vehicle with X in the reg no. I wrote back and said I would be happy to go to court and affirm that I do not own a vehicle with that reg no (with the X in). Result. Letter arrived saying due to a technical error your case is closed.

I had a parking ticket outside Black Cherry about 6 months ago. Last three digits on my car reg are 791, but the ticket said 971. I never paid the ticket and have never received any fines or documents from Southwark Council.

If the registration number is wrong on the ticket, the ticket is definitely invalid, because for the issuing authority to correct their records after the ticket is issued would basically constitute forging legal documents.

Keep the ticket just in case and if they did try and follow-up, have a lot of fun seeing how they try and explain illegal forging of documents.

We received 2 erroneous PCN's on 2 separate occasions 1. wrong reg (in Westminster) 2. wrong street name (in Southwark). Submitted letters stating grounds for appeal as per the PCN within the designated time limitations (send the correspondence 'signed for' so you have a record) and both were successful.

There is a certain road in Bromley, about 5 minutes walk from the town centre, where although it is pay and display parking bays, due to unknown reasons, the traffic wardens are not allowed to issue tickets if you are parked in a bay without paying but are allowed to issue tickets if you park on the yellow lines.

If you do get a ticket for parking in a bay without paying, you just appeal it with the council mentioning the name of the road and it's cancelled.

Fantastic at this time of year, no car park queueing.

Ahh, it just warms the cockles to hear all these tales of middle class crime and lack of punishment.

If Dostoevsky were alive today, I think Raskolnikov would be a serial misparker, who constantly retraced the steps of his misdemeanours, while smearing a little mud on his number plate to make his Y look like an X. Or whatever the Russian equivalent is.

"Happy days," he might murmur, in a Russian accent and with a faint trace of existential angst, as the beleaguered parkie scratched his head in dismay.

Merry Christmas to all and God bless us, everyone.

RosieH Wrote:

> Ahh, it just warms the cockles to hear all these

> tales of middle class crime and lack of

> punishment.

The working class don't get parking tickets?

Who knew?

Loz Wrote:

> RosieH Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Ahh, it just warms the cockles to hear all

> these

> > tales of middle class crime and lack of

> > punishment.

>

> The working class don't get parking tickets?

>

> Who knew?

Next week: "How I Beat The Fools At The Planning Dept. And Built A Granny-Flat In My Garden To Rent To Six Polish Plumbers."