Frustrated baby who can't walk but wants to!

Sarie

Hi everyone

Am after some advice about my little un and his frustration about not being able to walk but really wanting to! He's 10 months now and can't crawl yet but is constantly pestering me to stand up and walk with me holding his hands which is exhausting and no good for my back!

Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, what advice would you give about baby walkers etc. or any baby 'toy' that helps with this stage. We do have a wooden walker thing with bricks in it but he can't operate that himself and I also have to hold him on that so it doesn't really help with his desire to become an independent little boy! (Or help Mum!)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Fisher Price Stride to Ride toy is great (the wheels are angled so it doesn't move as fast) - we have one of these, it's been a hit with ours and visiting little ones learning to walk too. It can be used as a ride on toy when they are older. Ours was 2nd hand as I'm not sure they make this exact model any more:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FANTASTIC-FISHER-PRICE-STRIDE-TO-RIDE-WALKER-RIDE-ON-ACTIVITY-/121189469943?pt=UK_Toys_Creative_Educational_RL&hash=item1c37748ef7

you could get the completely ghastly but actually very good for this Vtech walker, the one with flashing lights and an annoying voice. MiL bought it for Miss Oi, she loved it and it certainly helped her pootle about the house without having to hang on to one of us, which is back-breaking as you say. Most tastefully, you could go for a wooden trolley with bricks, though I don't think that would be as sturdy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTech-First-Steps-Baby-Walker/dp/B0002MG6ZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381821447&sr=8-1&keywords=vtech+walker

actually, I didn't know it was as much as this, MiL bought ours in a charity shop for a fiver. Still, it was very good once your eyes and ears got used to it.

Before having a baby I assumed they all had a crawling stage but when my daughter got to similar 10 months stage, not only was she not interested in crawling and insistent on trying to walk, but speaking to other parents it seemed to be a common enough thing

So what I did was: did my back in for 5 months helping her learn. That seemed to do the trick

buggie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Would not recommend baby bouncer as they can

> encourage toe walking (go up onto toes to bounce)

> Maybe encourage lots of floor play/encourage

> cruising around the sofa.

>

> To save your back, maybe look for something like

> this:

>

> http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+walking-wings-sa

> fety-harness-in-baby-and-toddler-out-and-about+b96

> 23

Would have thought they're OK for short bursts - 10-15 mins. As usual most things OK in moderation - see here: http://www.earlyinterventionsupport.com/parentingtips/products/walkers.aspx ... Most of them absolutely love the new-found freedom, and as claudineslu said 'the giggling is normally endless'.

I think I read somewhere that bouncers were not recommended for more than 15 mins, 3 times a day (i.e., total 45 min). Actually, when you think about it, 15 min is a long time to a baby!

Probably fine if you're using it for a short giggle, as long as you're not using it to 'baby sit' your child. But, equally, I haven't read any evidence to suggest they help Baby progress to walking. However, if your LO just wants to be upright for a bit while you're otherwise engaged, then it might be a fun diversion.

The JojoMama harness looks interesting. You could take your LO to the park/playground in it. I thought about getting one of these for Little Saff, but she transitioned very quickly to walking at 11 months. You might not have as long to wait as you think (hopefully!). xx

Thanks everyone for all your really helpful suggestions and wit too! I'm just weighing up all the different options but in the meantime if anyone else has any other advice then keep it coming! Many thanks. Quick other question for now... don't suppose anyone has a JojoMama harness to sell? That looks like it would help my sore back no end! x