Has anyone had Botox locally?

Post two children I am thinking of getting this done. Has anyone had this done locally? I have been told of a place in forest hill that is meant to be good by a person that gets it done there but I want to do some more research.

Thanks!

X

Harley Street Skin Clinic for me, amazing results without looking frozen! I had been to a place local once before but it didn't last nearly as long or look as natural. Waiting list can be up to a month or so at the Harley Street clinic but I wouldn't go anywhere else and have converted my friends too!

Strawbs

We haven't met in a while (and I know you are after recommendations and may not appreciate a caution) but I recall a number of things:

Haven't you suffered anaphylactic reactions to things in the past? Is botox wise if that's still the case?

Living in a house with 2 kids of a similar age, I get the need for a lift of some kind but I don't know a single person who looks better post botox - it's an external product which isn't necessary

I haven't met chunksmum but I have met other friends and rellies who say "look - I don't look frozen!"

they do

Lastly, it wasn't that long ago we last met and you looked just fab - you certainly don't need to go injecting toxins

Sj thanks for your input, you know I value it! You are right I do have anaphylaxis and tbh hadn't considers that element. I thank you for saying I look fab I just feel so 'mumsy' and need to shake that look (and feeling) off somehow.. X

" I just feel so 'mumsy' and need to shake that look (and feeling) off somehow.."

that's definitely a thing but mostly what cures it is time (paradoxically - you will after all be older when thsis time passes) - the kids get easier, you get more time, they GIVE you more back etc etc

And it will be sooner than you think so hang in there

You will be fine. And remember.. there will come a time when you will look back at you now and wish you looked as good as you do now. And that's true for all of us

I had Botox a few years ago, very disappointed. It didn't make the difference I hoped for (I think I really wanted a miracle and that I would amazingly retrieve the beauty I had when I was 25) and it gave me a terrible headache for a week. I felt it was money down the drain. Much better for me was to go to weightwatchers, have my hair highlighted and cut properly and have a proper eyebrow shape every couple of weeks. Also, once I lost a bit of weight, I bought some nice new clothes. It's all about feeling better about yourself generally, rather than just what your face looks like, I think...

I'm not anti-Botox (far from it!) but what worries me is the cumulative effect - after a few treatments if done at the right place you certainly wouldn't look frozen and would get that 'pick me up' you're looking for - but if you keep going there will come a day where you most likely will look frozen. And not in the cool Princess sort of a way that all the kids seem to love these days.

treehugger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had Botox a few years ago, very disappointed. It

> didn't make the difference I hoped for (I think I

> really wanted a miracle and that I would amazingly

> retrieve the beauty I had when I was 25) and it

> gave me a terrible headache for a week. I felt it

> was money down the drain. Much better for me was

> to go to weightwatchers, have my hair highlighted

> and cut properly and have a proper eyebrow shape

> every couple of weeks. Also, once I lost a bit of

> weight, I bought some nice new clothes. It's all

> about feeling better about yourself generally,

> rather than just what your face looks like, I

> think...

Except of course that losing weight, getting in better shape, changing hair and eyebrows do all have a dramatic effect on the look of a person's face in context. So if that's an argument against Botox (or any other cosmetic alteration), the argument just went in a circle. xx

Maybe it's just about doing what makes you feel better (without expecting miracles AND without getting obsessed by it, whether it be cosmetic alternation, weight loss, ultra-fitness etc), and also not judging others about what makes them feel better.

. . . . .

You could have a test injection of Botox to test for allergy, but as you've likely never been exposed to botulinum toxin before, you're unlikely to have an allergic response to the bt itself. You're more likely to have an allergic response to the solvent or preservatives.

Also, a history of anaphylactic response to one allergen does not necessarily predict a history of response to other unrelated allergens, unless you have an atopic syndrome (people with multiple unrelated severe allergic triggers).

In any event, it looks like actual Botox allergy is extremely rare:

http://aes.sagepub.com/content/34/5/766

xx

I definitely need to lose the baby weight. Baby Strawbs is 4 months old and we have just come to an end of 11 weeks of around th clock screaming due to a medicine he was on (we obv didn't know but I worked it out a couple of weeks ago and no screaming since stopping it) so I'm feeling a bit beat up by the experience and also that I've not had a chance to focus on anything since he came along but now I can. Hair appt booked for the 25th so now I just need to sort the motivation to lose the weight! To be fair I don't have wrinkles but I have been told it gives your face a 'pick me up' and I hoped it would reduce the 'hagged , tired , stressed frumpy mum of two young children' look. I might put it on the back burner for now until I drop a few lbs and see how I feel. X

I've not had Botox, but I understand it works best on deep lines resulting from muscular contraction. It's purportedly better at forehead lines than the crease each side of the nose.

If you want a non-invasive overall rejuvenating effect, consider IPL treatment. IPL is not a laser, so it's much cheaper than laser treatment. It's Intense Pulsed Light. It encourages collagen growth from deep within the skin. It can treat acne, sun damage, and fine lines & veins. It's not painful, and rarely leaves any visible marks although you may have some pinpoint redness for a few days after treatment. Don't expect miracles, but with a few treatments, you should see an overall gentle improvement.

I'm sure there must be somewhere local offering it?

xx

a wise friend said to me, cut yourself some slack for the first year. there is no magic pill for suddenly whipping back into shape (if there was, i would have taken it!). just get as much sleep/rest as you can and do things that make you laugh. eat healthily, exercise, get a good face cream, haircut, wear some nice clothes (most days, baby permitting!)and you will be on the road in no time.

Hi, I too have had an anaphylaxis reaction in the past which didn't affect my Botox treatment.

I had deep frown lines between my eyebrows that was really getting me down which is why I first had Botox. I only need it once a year as it lasts so well and you really wouldn't know I had it done. I can spot most people who have had it done a mile off, shiny forehead which doesn't move and high arched eyebrows which is why it's important to see the go to the right Dr. My eyebrows are low and my forehead has plenty of movement I just don't have those deep lines anymore between my brows. For me Botox makes the world of difference in how I feel when I look at my face in the mirror and I no longer look as tired and worn out. It definitely is a face pick me up!

I've just attended the weight shift class run by a nutritionist (She's on here, will let you know her moniker) and a personal trainer, 6 weeks of exercise and good food support and i'm really pleased with the results, for me it was about changing my eating habits (not eating enough good fat and living off 1000 calories per day which didn't help me lose my baby weight). Baby Strawbs can go too and the people that were on my course were really nice. They're starting one in September if you're interested. I'll be honest the first week was hard, but if you get a shop in with the right food pretty quickly you'll be ok! Vicky the personal trainer is just the right balance of pushing you and making sure you can still walk and pick up your baby the next day. They've both got kids so understand the reality of life with children. Good luck, be kind to yourself, go and buy a few new things in your current size so that you feel nice. You've just grown a baby- well done x (www.weightshiftclub.com or www.fitnessformummies.co.uk)

If you want help with revamping your wardrobe I would totally recommend sally from queen bee styling. Thanks to her I have new clothes I feel confident and stylish in which make me feel good about myself and less like a frumpy mummy. She was well worth the money.

I know this is slightly off the point, but i loved this recent photo of Jamie lee Curtis and what she says about growing older (I realise the distinction within the debates of wanting to look fresher, and the points she is making about age,) but thought this might be a good place to add this ....