best schools in SE -child orianted ,not result-advice please

iliana

Hello,

I am looking for a schoool that is more interested in the child at least in primery school reather results,but providing a good education by keeping children interested in mainstreeam subject with a lots of focus on art and music.I am open to private schools too?Please advice,not too alterniative as Steiner though :)

Hi Iliana,

for state primary the most relevant thing is where you live, as most primaries are oversubscribed and allocate places on distance. Unless you are planning to move close to a particular school, I would suggest you look at your six closest schools and decide which you like; place them in order of preference on your form. Ivydale in Nunhead is traditionally strong on art and music, but you'd need to live close to the school for your child to get in there. In terms of fee paying schools, they tend to have entrance criteria and for some of them you need to apply early. I would suggest you go and visit schools and see what you think. If you pm me with your address details I can suggest which state schools you may be able to secure a place at.

Renata

Hello,

thank you very much.We are planning to move for a good school ,even the art is not that important really forcus on child ,individuality and curiosity.We diceded that it we will move for schoold,but prices tend to be higher near good school ,so it it is the same (cost you money anyway) if it's fee paying and you are flexible where you live or you pay yearly fees.We are felxible with all SE London,not ED,as I think ED has more result orientated schools :)

• 4 months later...
Thank you very much and sorry for not replying I like Rose house to some extend ,but the nursery is better .I don't like the space in the school ,one area great but the other I wouldn't won't to spent 35h,they said they will change age groups ,so one don't know where the child will spent time.Thanks for advice

I've just done the rounds of schools in Forest Hill and Sydenham and for me Kilmorie had the nicest feel to it and was more creative than most of the others. Lovely head who I'm sure would be pleased to show you round. For private schools, St Dunstans is known to be very nurturing and also has a lovely atmosphere as you walk round.

Thank you very much,that is so helpful.I hope that I like Kilmorie,and that I can still go and visit.I have seen St.Dunstans and the whole school looks very cold,no art work displayed ,just empty.We were not shown outside areas and where children go to play_except a small playground. Kilmorie looks very nice particularly the outside area-spacious with trees ,etc.THANK YOU

Oh that's a shame you didn't like St Dunstan's, did you look all around the school, they had a big art room ?

I think you will love Kilmorie, the Head is an ex art teacher and they had a fabulous art room and lots of work on display. They seem to teach in a creative way too, very topic based. Oh and there's no uniform and they call the teachers by first names...not sure how I feel about that but have fingers crossed we get a place there!