Balance bike or micro scooter or both?!

ACBP

Definitely scooter?balance bikes are great but much more hit and miss (mine prefers a regular bike with stabilisers, he had used a balance bike loads with his childminder but it became clear that getting one would've been a bit of a waste as he loves his regular bike), we use the scooter every day to get to nursery and getting around out and about whereas bike is a bit more of a separate activity.

It probably depends on the individual toddler in terms of how much they love the balance bike whereas scooters seem to be pretty much a universal hit.

Scooter didn't work for us at all but my son loved his balance bike. He just learnt to ride a proper bike and having used a balance bike before he had a very smooth transition.

I think whether a scooter or a balance bike works (or both) is dependent on the individual child. You may want to borrow them/ buy cheaply second hand before forking out for a new one. For us the mini micro was a waste of sixty quid.

My older two have loved both, but the scooter was more practical for getting around initially (age 2-3). I'm glad we stuck with the balance bikes, though, because having the family on pedal bikes is a real boon for getting to local places quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
Both but absolutely get a balance bike, your child will be a much safer cyclist and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble when it comes to transitioning to a pedal bike with no stabilisers. They may not take to the balance bike straight away but try it again in a couple of months if they don't. Both of my sons transitioned from balance bike to pedal bike (without stabilisers) literally in minutes, about five, I'm not kidding! The youngest has been on a pedal bike since he was 2!! They sometimes need a push off but that's it. You can get cheap ones from toys r us or get second hand or beg for hand me downs. Good luck.