Recommendations for a beautiful but practical backpack for Mum of 2?

My kids are 4 and 2 now, so I don't quite have to carry the world around with me anymore, but I still always need a store of wipes, toy cars, spare knickers about me (along with the usual handbag guff of keys, wallet, phone, notebook etc). I am using the pram less and less nowadays(hoorah!), so I am looking for a nice backpack to treat myself too - one that doesn't scream mummy, but is also practical should the inevitable happen and it gets apple juice/wee/coffee on it!

I like the fjallraven, herschel and sandqvist brands, but anyone out there recommend one over the other? or something else?

Eastpak Wyoming Rucksack

Good straps, not too chunky. Looks better than usual rucksack.

Leather(?) bottom and decent comfy carrying handle.

Bought one in TK Max years ago. Used weekly, still going strong.

And at 25-40 quid more replaceable and chuckaroundable than Herschel etc

herschel basic backpack doesn't have enough pockets - no exterior quick access pocket. Def get something that not just one big compartment but also not something with loads of fiddly compartments.

Whistles ones were half price at Next. I had a look at blue metallic type one. Nice. Roomy. Good pockets. But wasn't convinced the straps would hold up to the amount of rubbish I shove in mine.

Depends what you want...canvas/leather? Lots of pockets vs more streamlined?

I treated myself to a Whistles one when I went back to work. Love it. Roomy enough and love the fact that it has a zip all the way around the top. Very high quality and no concern about hardiness, although it is a fashion bag rather than an expedition rucksack so not built to take quite as much!

If you want something similar then it's worth looking on the outnet to see if they have anything, or Grazia often do a 25% off at Whistles thing...

wow, some rucksack experts out there! thanks!

i looked at the whistles ones and yes they are beautiful but i don't think practical enough for my needs

eastpak wyoming - i'm afraid i don't like it, don't laugh but its too rucksack-y for me :)

the millican ones are nice, but might be a bit too high spec for me

not aware of outnet and just had a peek at this gorgeous chloe one http://www.theoutnet.com/en-GB/product/See-by-Chloe/Textured-leather-backpack/599573 but again i don't think its practical enough (thin straps for example)

i think i want a canvas type one, with 1 or no pockets on the outside and a couple of pockets/compartments inside....Annoyingly most of the sites don't actually show what they're like inside!

Most thrilling thread for ages.

Am spending too much time now vicariously exploring rucksacks.

Asos has nice ones - I rather like the Rains ones.

Know what you mean but I do love my Eastpak.

Let us know what you go for in the end!

• 4 months later...