VW Touran - views please!

So, we have recently become a family of 4 and the Fiat 500 isn't quite working for us any more (understatement!). We're looking at buying a second-hand MPV and thinking of the VW Touran, probably 2007/2008 (no money left after doing up the house...which is still only half finished!). Any Touran owners out there who could offer us their pearls of wisdom on what to look out for? Any owners of other MPVs who'd recommend their cars, or tell us to steer clear? (My boss offered to sell me his Ford C-Max but seeing as I've heard him call it the sh*tmax for the past 6 years since he bought it, I politely declined!).

Many thanks in advance for your help.

We've had our 2006 Touran for five years and have been very happy with it. It's still nippy, and there's plenty of room for us and our two boys. The extra two seats in the boot have also been handy for family visits (although obviously you lose the luggage space when they're up).

The only issues we've had were the garage who sold it to us forgetting to include the locking wheel nut; I don't like the 'no spare tyre' approach which is common in lots of cars these days; and the rear seat belts have lost their retraction due to holding the boys car seats in place for several years (the car has ISOFIX, but the boys' car seats don't), and that's going to be a bit pricey to sort. But nothing you wouldn't expect from owning a car.

All in all, would happily recommend the Touran.

We have a Touran, and I generally like it but shouldn't have bought the lowest trim (I think the SE has speakers in the back but ours doesn't). It fits three car seats across the back easily and is pretty spacious to drive and ride in as a passenger.

Ours has been reliable so far (2008 model). In general I would recommend it, but if you aren't planning to become a family of 5 any time soon a golf might do just as well, perhaps.

We have a touran. It's great as a family car, plenty of space in the boot (when you are not using the other seats). I find ours a bit noisy on the motorway (diesel version) but otherwise very happy with it. All seats fold down so you can transport lots of stuff if ever needed rather than renting a van.

We have the basic version which does not have electric windows at the back which is annoying (especially if you have young kids as then they can open them easily.)