Dog free places to learn to cycle

damzel

My daughter is terrified of dogs which makes learning to ride a bike in the park extremely difficult. Is there anywhere around that's relatively dog free that would be good to learn to ride a bike? Maybe a dis-used car park or quiet cul-de-sac?

Great suggestions thanks although she is nervous even with stabilisers so not sure grass would be good or the narrow path at the library - does the Picture Gallery have a paved area?

I'll look into the velodrome but it might be a bit soon, my daughter is much more nervous about this type of thing than would be considered normal. That's why the dog issue is such a big deal, kind of another excuse I think.

I have a seriously dog phobic child and I really sympathise. I would recommend lettsom gardens - you will need to join up and get a key but it is not very expensive. There is a large hard standing basketball/football pitch area on which both my kids learnt to ride a bike. I would be pretty confident that you won't see a dog - they are not allowed (although of course some people ignore that!)

There is an enormous hardly-used car park up at Crystal Palace sports centre. It is the coach park and overspill for day to day parking and is usually empty unless there is a major event on. When you get to the mini roundabout at the entrance to the sports centre, take the first left (not the second left which has a gate and ticket hut on it), the car park is not far up on the right.

Just picking up the point re the velodrome - don't be put off by the fact it seems like it would be serious cyclists. Its so laid back and a lovely environment for them to learn in. Does she have a balance bike - if not could recommend doing the strider bike session. If she's too old for that she could borrow a big strider bike for the frog sessions they have (there's a boy who's about 5/6 who does this most weeks and seems to love it). My 2 go on Saturdays. My eldest couldn't set off without a push (Celeste who runs the sessions has finally got him over this) and my 2 year old insists on joining in on her balance bike which has never been a problem. No dogs, everyone cycling in the same direction so less obstacles - its great. Its also really reasonable ?3 per session plus ?1 extra if you want to borrow a bike there

Thanks Goldilocks, you read my mind! I had looked at the Velodrome site and thought exactly that. However, my daughter is nearly 8 and is tall for her age so the Frog session won't work I don't think. I might give them a call and see what they say. She's extremely nervous about this type of thing so I need to tread carefully else she'll never do it.

My son didn't learn until he was 8, despite many fruitless attempts. He managed to do it on holiday. We were on a campsite in France on an island with hardly any cars that was very flat. We hired bikes and my son was on a tag along because he couldn't ride independently. When we got back to the campsite he was inspired to learn so we hired a small bike (ludicrously small but such that if he fell off there was no harm) and he just got on with it all by himself. It was a sandy tracked area with no cars and it was all very relaxed - he had as long as he wanted. He'd mastered it in about an hour or so and when we got back home we bought him a bike and he was able to ride it easily straight away. The tag-along bike experience had really helped him, I think, "feel" what cycling was like (which is very different to stabiliser cycling). Good luck!

damzel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks Goldilocks, you read my mind! I had looked

> at the Velodrome site and thought exactly that.

> However, my daughter is nearly 8 and is tall for

> her age so the Frog session won't work I don't

> think. I might give them a call and see what they

> say. She's extremely nervous about this type of

> thing so I need to tread carefully else she'll

> never do it.

I know this is not what the original question is - but have you thought about getting help for the dog issue? I do not own a dog, or particularly like them, but it seems to me that being properly scared of them is quite problematic in an urban area where we seem to be surrounded by ever increasing numbers of dogs. I know that dogs should be controlled and not bothering other peole - but the reality is they are not and they do. So being really scared is going to impact her as she gets more independent.

I don't know how such a thing would be 'cured' gradual controlled exposure etc maybe?

PS back on track my youngest learned at the cricket ground by the Harvester, middle one on a campsite. Grandma's garden for the eldest.

Thanks for your thoughts katgod. Yes we are getting help and doing our best to help her rationalise her fears. We do not avoid parks with dogs usually but this is about her learning to ride a bicycle which is a big enough challenge for her already, without having to confront her fear of dogs at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
Ruskin park is half dog free! So if you stay near the duck pond end within the gated part she'll be fine. I found that stabilisers don't help stabilise (and in fact can do the exact opposite) and found it's better to just go for it on flat land. I held the back of the saddle and ran with with my daughter with loads of loud encouragement and kept reassuring I was holding on....when you think they're ready and stable just simply let go but stay close...don't tell her initially that you've let go...I've taught a few kids and that method never seems to fail...a certain amount of speed is required of course and holding onto the saddle you are not controlling the bike- just reassuring. Grass makes pedalling difficult unless it's very short! If your daughter would like to meet a nice dog, my 1 year old lab cross who everyone exclaims is cute...loves kids and she would happily be petted or fed treats!