Brick House bakery & caf? commit business suicide...

I guess if you want to run a successful business, in a predominantly family filled area, it's probably a good idea not to kick out a new mum (who's just bought food and drink from you), for the crime of having a baby cry for a few minutes.

Also probably not wise to compare babies to dogs, and try and make yourself sound good by 'allowing' mums to breastfeed in your establishment...

Bit of a dick move tbh :-/

Nothing is ever truly deleted ;-)

I think this is a good example of how use of the Oxford comma would have been beneficial.

Such a strange response to give, how was she not a 'paying customer'?! I'm pretty sure that parents with babies make up a huge proportion of their clientele. They probably spend more than the people on laptops nursing that one cup of coffee for hours, too :-D fairly large demographic to alienate.

Looking after a new baby is seriously hard work. Actually making it out the house is a massive achievement some days! This kind of experience can really shake a new mum's confidence.

Don't know the ins and outs of this as I wasn't there and I agree that on face value it doesn't seem like a very clever move to ask a mum to leave just because her baby was crying for a short while.

But it's OTT to say that the Brick House's response 'compared babies to dogs' and I think getting on a high horse because they said they were happy to allow breastfeeding is a bit ridiculous. Maybe they could have phrased it better but that seems to be wilfully taking offence where none was meant.

I hate these things where everyone just piles in on Twitter/Instagram to slag off an independent business and the hysteria gets whipped up amongst a load of people who weren't there when the incident happened. The Brick House may well have done a silly thing but surely the best way to deal with that is to complain to the manager direct and have it out with him/her in private? I'm old-fashioned like that...

I know the people involved here. Fact is that the brickhouse were sent a private email but chose to respond on the Instagram thread.

I don't know why they didn't engage privately and just say on the thread that they were discussing it with the customer who complained.

We all want our local businesses to succeed. But, if they want to continue getting custom from young families, they have handled this really badly.

redjam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Don't know the ins and outs of this as I wasn't

> there and I agree that on face value it doesn't

> seem like a very clever move to ask a mum to leave

> just because her baby was crying for a short

> while.

>

> But it's OTT to say that the Brick House's

> response 'compared babies to dogs' and I think

> getting on a high horse because they said they

> were happy to allow breastfeeding is a bit

> ridiculous. Maybe they could have phrased it

> better but that seems to be wilfully taking

> offence where none was meant.

>

> I hate these things where everyone just piles in

> on Twitter/Instagram to slag off an independent

> business and the hysteria gets whipped up amongst

> a load of people who weren't there when the

> incident happened. The Brick House may well have

> done a silly thing but surely the best way to deal

> with that is to complain to the manager direct and

> have it out with him/her in private? I'm

> old-fashioned like that...

Totally agree with this. I don?t know the ins and outs either, but anyone who has visited the Brick with kids will know that they?re generally, very welcoming.