What to do in Dulwich with a 4 year old.

We are having our 4 year old grand daughter staying for 3 days from 9th April. She has not stayed with us without her parents before. so a new experience for all of us.

She is a very lively child and apart from Hornimans, can anyone suggest other local places to visit or activities?

we are both arthritic pensioners who find walking around for long periods very tiring (even getting to Dulwich Park can be difficult at times)

Is there any ball pits in pubs around here? Children's activities where you can just drop in and not having to book.

We will be using buses to get around (she has never been on a bus). Since our other grandchildren are in their teens we are out of touch with pre school age activities.

How about painting her own plate or mug? There is a place in ED that does this - for the life of me can't remember what it is called but maybe other EDF folk might give you contact details. Best I can do is from Goose Green going towards Peckham Rye Park, on shopping parade on left near Tesco's.

Not sure if it is still open but last year a play centre opposite Brockwell Park near Herne Hill area.

It's call Punk me up -just near Goose Green playground where they can play first. Benches for you to sit down on too :)

Also, the French house on Lordship Lane does have a play part downstairs but it may be more for younger kids. It will probably amuse her enough for you to have a coffee!

Peckham soft play could be an option. They have on the hour sessions.

Both libraries often have child sessions too.

ED tots is a good place to get more info and the Hoop app if you have access to it

If all else fails go to the pound shops and let them choose some craft activities for them to do at home. AJ Farmer on Lordship Lane also have a few cheap ish crafts to buy

My grandchildren started coming to stay when the youngest was about four, and what they mainly wanted to do was go to playgrounds :))

It's difficult if you can't walk very far, but depending on where you are starting from, there's a kids' playground at the far end of Goose Green (next to Aneto) which is near the bus stops going towards the Rye, and not too far from the Lordship Lane bus stops.

Feed the ducks on Peckham Rye pond? If you go in the top entrance to the park, the 484 stops fairly near it and it's a reasonably short walk from there to the pond.

I take birdfood (seeds and grains) as bread isn't good for them.

There will also probably be pigeons and squirrels to provide further amusement.

Oddono's is usually a good bet for ice cream!

ETA: Probably not suitable for you as it does involve walking, but the Children's Zoo in Battersea Park is brilliant.

If the weather dries up then you can get the 40/176/185 to Ruskin Park and the playground is a 5-10 minute walk from the main road so might be easier to access than Dulwich Park for you.

The Peckham Plex do cinema tickets for ?5 each (so much cheaper than East Dulwich!). Peter Rabbit is currently on.

The ceramics cafe by Goose Green is fantastic for that age as mentioned above.

My 5 year old likes to pick books from the charity shops as well.

Many thanks for all the suggestions - I have used the ceramic painting place by Goose Green playground before when our other grandchildren were younger and had thought of this. I cannot remember whether she is currently 'anti swimming' as blows hot and cold re this activity ( her Mum was taking her to the local pool since she was 4 months old) and currently the water in the leisure centre is on the cold side. (she is also just getting over Chicken pox)

Hopefully one day will be the ceramic painting followed by a short play in the playground and maybe an ice cream at Ooddono's. next day at Hornimans and quiet play/activity at home with glitter/glue etc.

Thanks for the edtots website that was extremely useful.

We did think of the cinema but she likes to be on the go all the time and unlikely to sit still for length of film. However will spend 2 - 3 hours drawing and colouring!

The Picturehouse has toddler time which are shorter showings (around 30 mins). Also depending on what bus route you are on Brockwell Park has a great Stay & Play/1 o?clock club as does Ivydale Children?s Centre and Peckham Rye Park.

If you can reach Crystal Palace then check out Barnados Triangle - Soft Play and other toys very easy to sit and watch a 4 year old.

EPB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oddones is rather a long way from the Goose Green

> playground. There?s a wonderful ice cream place

> in the parade of shops almost next door to the

> playground.

There is, but it hardly ever seems to be open, and it doesn't have nearly as wide a selection as Oddono's.

I agree it's nearer to Goose Green though!

Hello!

If you're still looking for something fun to do, we are running an energetic DJ / sound workshop for children aged 4-8 at Space at 61 in Nunhead on Wed 11th at 11am.

The kids will learn how to DJ, play giant guess who and take part in an experimental sound bath!

You mentioned you would prefer drop-in activities, however you would need to book for this if interested - the details are here:

http://www.wordplayeducation.co.uk/events

:)

Many thanks for all suggestions - Crystal Palace will require 2 bus journeys, as would Brockwell Park. Hornimans, Goose Green and Ceramic place only one bus. I do not think she has ever been on a bus as living out in Sussex, her family have to use cars to get to local supermarkets as buses do not go near these.

I gather she went this week to Marvells Zoo ? just outside Portsmouth and was excited by the big cats!