Christening present ideas for a 5 year old boy - advice needed

Hi, going to a christening in summer - hubby is a godfather (but sorting out pressies would still be my responsibility), all ideas I've seen are for the little ones. the only pressie i can think about is a bottle of good wine that will keep well and will become a great one by the time he's 18 (his parents love good wine and probably would not mind, but I'm not sure if giving wine to a 5 year old is such a good idea...) he's very active and sporty and they'll be moving into a brand new house at the end of the year and he'll have his own room. any ideas? his sister is easy - silver jewellery, but boys are much more difficult... thanks!

Links of London do some lovely things to keep. Like this keepsake box, which I have used to keep first teeth! The piggy box is lovely too, and my two children use theirs. Links also do an amazing Noah's ark which is very expensive, but not much use really.

My son was given an amazing Noah's ark, which is wooden and special and perfectly made and will be kept as an heirloom. That, I think, was the best gift he was given, as it is a story from the bible and a lovely toy. i wonder if a boy of five would be a little old for this though. They grow so fast, I don't know.

• 4 years later...

I think it is nice to have name or initials on a christening gift. I have done:

- nice editions of books that include his name as the main/ key character eg. Just William books for a William, Harry potter for a harry. I'm sure I have been more unexpected in the past but cant think of any right now!

- Cufflinks with engraved initials

- Silver plated money box with engraved initials

- Cool superhero print collection for his room from notonthehighstreet or similar

- Quentin blake print for his room

- the Links keepsake box engraved

- name a star (John Lewis)

- a lovely globe and atlas for a child who has cousins/ grandparents abroad

- buy a Christmas tree/ olive tree for child to plant in the garden

I do usually give an engraved bible too as it is a christening after all.