Questions to ask childminders?

Ellie78

I recently put a post on the forum (6-7mo son, 1 day per week childcare from January, we're nearer Nunhead than East D)and realised I haven't got a clue as to what to ask when we meet potential childminders.

Off the top of my head:

Cost, number of other kids looking after, daytime routine, food/bottle etiquette...

But then there's some points I'm fuzzy about:

first aid - presumably they but to what level?)

qualifications - what should I expect?

Any other questions I'm missing?

(And anyone with recommendations please PM!)

The first aid training for Southwark childminders is compulsory and has to be completed over two Saturdays (12 hours) every 3 years. It's very thorough and covers everything for babies/children/adults. I've got mine coming up this Sat and next.

How many children they care for (ages etc) and how many school runs, eg a morning drop off ( or two) a nursery lunchtime pick-up then after school pick-up can be disruptive for younger children.

Safety stuff, obviously.

If you like them get them to give you a draft contract and read it through, eg things like holidays, bank holidays

To second BeccaL, discipline is a must. You must be comfortable with how they deal with issues. Food, who supplies, you or them, if them is it what you would be happy with. Where will your child sleep during the day. How often is the TV on.

Cut off time for returning your child after an illness, particularly a tummy bug.

It is best to visit the childminder when other children are there as it can answer many questions. Ask to see the registration certificate and check the oftsed report and that should answer lots of questions without having to ask them as the registration process will check CRBs and expect first aid and other training to be completed. That is all done for you.

I would be inclined to ask the childminder to describe what her typical day is like and then you will know whether your child will be able to cope/fit in with that and you are happy for your child to have that routine. Ask to see a sample of the contract so you check the other stuff people have mentioned above.

If they are not registered then you would be breaking the law using them and it is at your own risk that the person is suitable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
In addition to above I would go off your gut feeling, they can get the best Osfted report in the world but it's how you feel that matters above all else. We saw one when looking around who had outstanding Ofsted report but when we went to see her she promised to have our son walking by 1 yr old, hosted a playgroup once a week (whereupon it was unclear who would be looking after our son), didn't work summer hols at all (leaving 6 wk gap in childcare for us to sort), had a lounge the size of a bathroom, and a dog who she said was friendly who growled at my husband when let out of the kitchen!! We found the best childminders in the world by complete chance - Sylvia and Inay Rodriques on Muschamp Road. Close to ED station, like stepping into a Blue Peter set each day and the best possible childcare you could get second to you looking after your child yourself. Cannot recommend them more highly :)