Who is the woman that marks the bins with a label? W/ long grey hair.

I originally posted this in The Lounge and realise this was probably the place for it - apologies.

So... I was leaving for work (this morning) and got halfway up the road and realised I'd forgotten something so had to go back to my house.

Our green and blue bins are left out on the pavement as with everyone else on our road but I noticed a lady who was walking up to each one and on some of them marking them with a tiny torn off piece of white label that she was sticking over the letters 'Co' on the words 'Southwark Council'.

I walked past where she had been and not every single bin had been marked but about half had. Does anyone know why? I would never have noticed the little tiny label if I hadn't saw her putting them on there.

EDIT: I would have asked but I was super late and I suppose it only really started to confuse me later in the day.

Does sound strange. Maybe she is from Southwark Council and marking out the bins left outside property boundaries?

I always open my gate and put the bins just outside so men can collect easily. Sure this was original advice years ago.

Received a long letter from Southwark Environment last week saying they've received complaints about bins being left on the pavement and pavements should be clear for wheelchair/pushchair use. They're now saying there is no need to move bins ready for collection.

Thanks for replying. Definitely not official looking in any way, certainly not dressed as a council worker. Long grey hair wearing coat and warm clothing on a very warm morning. Appeared to be alone.

The pieces of label are white, roughly finger nail size and cover the letters C and O always.

All the bins in my opinion look to be as inconveniently placed as eachother. At a glance, I can't work out why she chose the ones she did and am wondering if it relates more to the properties than the bins themselves. Disturbing if this is casing.

Will post a picture tomorrow but am more uneasy now.

Is this near Dulwich Hamlets? If so, there is a lady that fits your description which has a mental health problems. Welfare officers visited her house to check up on her the other day

"Obsessive compulsive behaviour from a local obsessive compulsive. C and O must signify something for her and that's why those letters are Covered Over."

I was thinking just this. Perhaps something to do with filling-in the circles (though the OC in me says what about the gaps in each 'a', too).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...