Gallery road

micky

Sadly this is only one example of how parking is becoming more and more difficult in the village area. Putting a double yellow line along one side of Gallery Road will only spread the parking problem elsewhere locally.

Plans are being considered to restrict some of the parking in the village proper to one hour only as a help to the shops. This is going to drive the cars which usually occupy these spaces all day, further out along the local side roads as well as Gallery Road.

Maybe there should be a consultation about a Controlled Parking Zone in the whole area, this seems to me the only way to apportion space reasonably between conflicting interests.

You're spot on micky. Saturday mornings are particularly bad with DCPS and visiting school parents taking their little ones to the playing fields. It's not about moving the parking problem elsewhere, double yellow lines on one side are needed just to keep the traffic flowing. I saw an ambulance with lights and siren going, stuck for a least 10 mins because of the congestion.

My point is that the parking problem is spreading into the surrounding areas of the village anyway, a measure like a double yellow line in Gallery Road might be deemed necessary for safety reasons, but this decision should only be taken after a consideration of parking in other roads.

If you start regulating parking in the village there would be a 'knock-on' effect which could not be ignored.

I know that people dread a CPZ, but I have lived in an area where, after much discussion, one was introduced, and it did result in a reasonable balance between the interests of residents and visitors.

The Law of Unintended Consequences... at the moment Gallery Road seems mostly parked up when being used by families with children* - the school, the park and play area and playing fields, the fairs (when they're on) etc. The heavy parking on both sides slows down traffic immensely - quite a good thing when there are lots of kids milling about. Ban parking on one or both sides - traffic will flow much more freely (and quickly, 20mph zone or not) and the chances of accidents involving children rises. So, maybe, the restricted traffic is actually a good thing, here, on the occasions it is restricted. (And cyclists can get through without much bother...)

*Special events in Dulwich Picture Gallery notwithstanding

I've never seen anyone parked on College Rd.

It's double yellows most of the way between the roundabout and the park. South of the park entrance there's often a fair few people parked, and loads more down by the College itself; it's pretty wide between the park and the S Circ, doesn't seem to cause any problems there.

The pinch points are nearer the South Circular end - by the Bell Air pub thingy and also disruption usually caused by central reservation traffic calm measrures of which there are two i believe near the car park to Bell Air park.

Effective 1 way traffic when cars parked on road between these points.

There's a Southwark community council meeting in St Barnabus Church Hall tonight at 7pm re traffic in and around Dulwich Village. Agree CPZ is not the answer but a lot of people seem keen unfortunately ? anyway it's a good place to air your views if thus inclined.

Every weekend gallery road is congested with larger cars. Ranger rovers. Volvos. Bmw X5. On both sides just by bel air double yellow lines need to put in place on one side so traffic can have a steady flow.