East Dulwich Crime Map

The MPS are beta testing online crime maps of London to give a visual representation of crime figures by borough, ward and postcode.

http://maps.met.police.uk/

Simply enter your postcode in the search bar to find your locality.

As you can see, Southwark is a high crime borough compared to the much of the metropolis. On a more micro scale, the ED ward and LL town centre area is above average, whilst much of the surrounding area is average, causing an interesting orange on yellow effect, like some weird crime fried egg. *Edited as my sloppy typing and punctuation gave my post the wrong meaning*.

Police statistics are just a numbers game.

The police visit our prisons with cash offerings for long term prisoners to admit to minor crimes in an effort to fool joe public. Many uk prisoners are on a "waiting list" for this "service" as it entails no extra time just form filling and cash for their accounts. These crimes then become solved and add to these absurd crime stats.

Local 1, although an interesting claim (do you have a link to back it up), you are in fact referring to clear up rates, which are a very different thing to what is published on the Met site i.e. offences.

(I've been trying to edit my post for ages but have been unable to connect to the site)

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I suspect the hideous crime of parking on a yellow

> etc have really bumped up SE22s figures.....and

> dropping cigar butts

Neither are crimes as they are enforced by Southwark Council and not the Met....

Horsebox Wrote:

> Local 1, although an interesting claim (do you

> have a link to back it up), you are in fact

> referring to clear up rates, which are a very

> different thing to what is published on the Met

> site i.e. offences.

>

> (I've been trying to edit my post for ages but

> have been unable to connect to the site)

No internet link I am afraid. I guess you will have to take it or leave it. Anyone who knows someone or has served time in a british jail would know this to be true. Wether they will tell us,,,I dont know?

Anyone?

And yes its solved rather than commited crimes, but both bounce of each other.

The crime statistics, if you believe them, could not be further from truth. The two so-called most authoritative measures of crime in England and Wales, the British Crime Survey (BCS) and crimes reported by the Police Service, publish vastly different totals for the number of crimes committed. In the 12 months ending March 2007, the BCS estimated 11.3 million crimes against adults in England and Wales compared to 5.4 million crimes reported by the police over the same period. The main reason for this apparent discrepancy is attributed to the fact that victims of crime felt it pointless to report the great majority - nearly 6 in 10 - crimes to the police, an indictment in itself.

On another note all crimes recorded and measured so , are only against adults.

This is a very useful link! Thanks! I am a member of my local Ward Panel for police and safer neighbourhood team (anyone can be) and did not know about this new site, so again, thanks.

My local area is average yet two months ago there were no crimes at all! And that's an SE15 Peckham area too!

local1 Wrote:

> Horsebox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Local 1, although an interesting claim (do you

> > have a link to back it up), you are in fact

> > referring to clear up rates, which are a very

> > different thing to what is published on the Met

> > site i.e. offences.

> >

> > (I've been trying to edit my post for ages but

> > have been unable to connect to the site)

>

> No internet link I am afraid. I guess you will

> have to take it or leave it. Anyone who knows

> someone or has served time in a british jail

> would know this to be true. Wether they will tell

> us,,,I dont know?

> Anyone?

Sorry Local 1, not good enough...

I'll respond to the rest of the posts on this thread when I've worked out how to use my Mac properly:-$

Not sure what Local and Ellwood are getting at here?

Is your angle that crime is everywhere, all the time, the police are corrupt, everyone is lying, ED is worst, and..... what?

We should all go kill ourselves? We should sack all the police?

Lock ourselves inside our houses with shotguns, crying all night?

The "crime map" told me that Buckingham Palace and Downing Street had almost five times more reported crimes than my postcode.

It told me that my area has seen a trebling of reported crime between May and June. From 2 to 6.

So, what have I learned from this? Nothing.

what i meant is that some crimes are simpler to solve then others. the police are under enormous pressure to prove it's solving crimes by constantly getting higher figures. it's easier to get these figures by solving little things. thus the map looks like a hub of criminal activity when really all it is a lots of small things which are reported and investigated to make it look like they are doing their job.

Elwood, have you understood the concept behind this map? It is not a representation of investigated crimes, in fact many crimes are not investigated at all. The map is intended to show burglary, robbery and vehicle crime offences across the capital. It is nothing to do with clear up rates.

I kind of expected that I would be in the High Crime area, but then it does take in the main roads, Peckham Rye and part of Rye Lane.

I found it interesting that they report that there have been 9 homicides in Southwark in the year up to June 2008. It's still grim, but I would have estimated it higher. That there have been over 9000 crimes using violence is depressing.

It's good to know this information, but not sure what we can do about it, except run to the shops and back to avoid the crim fraternity.

For what it's worth, a Detective Inspector based in Southwark once told me that this practice of encouraging prisoners to fess up to crimes they didn't commit in order to boost stats does go on, although he seemed to imply it was more about getting one's sentence reduced or a conjugal visit than a direct cash payment.

The website seems to say (see below) that the figures behind the maps are of reported crimes (with an identifed location). I am not sure that all reports get translated into what previous posts call 'offences'.

Website says: "Please note, that whilst every effort is made to record the details of crime and its location as accurately as possible, there are occasions when victims are unable to provide the actual location of a crime. In these instances, the site will not be able to display all the crime reported to the police."

I love the way this crime map proves my point about Fenwick RD. I told people a long time ago that those flats at the bottom of the road made the place more dangerous than surrounding streets, and yet I got a whole load of condemnation for pointing out an obvious observation to so many people who live near to this area.

Louisa.

Huguenot Wrote:

> Not sure what Local and Ellwood are getting at

> here?

>

> Is your angle that crime is everywhere, all the

> time, the police are corrupt, everyone is lying,

> ED is worst, and..... what?

>

> We should all go kill ourselves? We should sack

> all the police?

>

> Lock ourselves inside our houses with shotguns,

> crying all night?

I dont have an "angle", just taking part in a conversation and sharing what I know to be the truth.

But hey, dont let me stop you, go knock youself out.