re avoiding central london

Come down the east side of London - various options on a Sunday including

a) through the City and over London Bridge or Tower Bridge (check for openings)

b) through Rotherhithe tunnel but look out for works / closures

c) M25 / M11 Blackwall Tunnel but look out for works / closures

d) M25 / Dartford Crossing (toll) and back in via New Cross and back route to Kings on the Rye etc

If you are driving from the North West come down via the M6 to Birmingham and then the M40 through Oxford and onto the M25 either to the M4 and to ED via Earls Court and cross the river at Battersea Bridge or divert to cross the river at Kew and thus to ED on the South Circular or stay on the M25 and come up via the A23 and Croydon, longer but completely avoids the centre.

Where in the North?

I do this a fair amount, last Sunday M40 A40 to Shepherds Bush way then over and through Battersea South Circular.

Google maps these days is really good, it updates the best route as it goes. The week before it gave me a different route. Depends on how you're defining central London really.

East side nunhead_man says it all realyy.

Not sure what 'tolls' you're trying to avoid - but there is no congestion charge on a sunday! Avoiding central not always best. Depends where you are coming from? We come down from M1 via finchly road, swiss cottage, edgeware road, marble arch and over Vauxhall bridge

Yes, central London at the weekend can be the quickest route, and no congestion charge. We often come down to Swiss Cottage from the M1, then Regents Park (always deserted) then down to Oxford Circus, then cut across to Park Lane, then down to Vauxhall.

This can all be time-consuming but still better than the North/South Circular or (shudder) M25

M1 then A1 down to Archway, Junction Road to Tufnell Park tube then Brecknock Road/York Way to Kings Cross. Then Blackfriars Bridge, Elephant and Castle, New Kent Road, Old Kent Road and then a right towards Peckham on Trafalgar Avenue.

Sounds fairly central but the Archway - E&C stretch is generally fairly quiet in my experience.

The Edgware Road/Park Lane/Victoria/Vauxhall route comes through central London but avoids the congestion charge altogether at all times and days (provided you don't stray from the route by mistake, as I did once).

If you look online there is a map.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I go to Huddersfield a bit and do:

> - Come off M1 at J1, follow roundabouts to top of

> Edgeware Rd.

> - drive down thru Kilburn to Marble Arch

> - Park Lane, Hyde Park Corner, Victoria

> - Vauxhall Bridge Rd and bridge

> - Oval, Camberwell, ED.

Yeh that's the one.

The only weird bit is where you have to turn left just before Camberwell Green and go down a tiny side street to get onto the Walworth Road in order to go via Denmark Hill, otherwise you have to go straight on towards Peckham and turn right somewhere to get to ED, which can be a pain depending on traffic.

It's well signposted, but still easy to miss if you don't know it's there :))

Through central London is usually quickest. If you're coming from NW, take M4 and continue in to Earls Court. From M1 it's trickier but via Park Lane and Victoria is best.

Whatever route you take, a traffic-avoiding app like Waze can usually improve on it. Much better than a dedicated satnav.

Blackcurrant Wrote:

>

> Whatever route you take, a traffic-avoiding app

> like Waze can usually improve on it. Much better

> than a dedicated satnav.

Just make sure it doesn't take you into the congestion zone, like blooming google satnav did.

It might have been avoiding traffic, but it cost me (though at least I remembered to pay the charge!!)

ETA: I didn't realise until too late, and in any case there was no way to turn round.

Sue Wrote:

---------------------------------------------

> Just make sure it doesn't take you into the

> congestion zone, like blooming google satnav did.

>

Yikes! If you choose "avoid tolls" in settings before you hit the blue chevron icon to start navigating, it will avoid the congestion area.

It's great fun using it as it takes different routes all the time, revealing parts of London you'd never see otherwise.

Blackcurrant Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> ---------------------------------------------

> > Just make sure it doesn't take you into the

> > congestion zone, like blooming google satnav

> did.

> >

>

> Yikes! If you choose "avoid tolls" in settings

> before you hit the blue chevron icon to start

> navigating, it will avoid the congestion area.

>

> It's great fun using it as it takes different

> routes all the time, revealing parts of London

> you'd never see otherwise.

Thanks, I didn't know you could set it to avoid the congestion charge.

It once sent me past the front of Buckingham Palace, which was quite fun :)

ETA: Ah. I have just realised you are talking about the app and I'm talking about google ....

Sue Wrote:

> ETA: Ah. I have just realised you are talking

> about the app and I'm talking about google ....

Same thing - Google bought Waze and incorporated the traffic data into their maps. I use Google Maps on a phone.

> Thanks, I didn't know you could set it to avoid

> the congestion charge.

You can only access it just before starting navigation - don't know why they've hidden it.

> It once sent me past the front of Buckingham

> Palace, which was quite fun :)

Me too. It's interesting where it takes you to avoid Embankment traffic.