Brazen burglary Friern Rd

We were brazenly burgled today between 3.15 and 3.30pm when out on school run can u believe it! My eldest came back from school and the perps came out said your mums home as they left. He was shaken but ok. Most items seem to be here but as they've rummage through our room not sure what's missing yet. Forensics seem to think we were watched and targeted for money or jewellery as other items were untouched. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a discreet security device like the spy hole thing. I think someone posted a few months ago being burgled and filming or photographing the perp. Advice and thoughts welcome. We live in a communal block of flats. Please be vigilant everyone make sure doors are double locked and windows closed which is easily missed especially with warmer weather.

wonderwoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Oh, that bad. Hope not too much was taken.

> I think someone posted a few months ago being burgled and filming or

> photographing the perp.

If I remember correctly, that was from ring.com.

Sorry to hear your news.

I agree, double locking doors is most important but I would also add that it's useful to have a radio or the TV pumping out sound inside the falt/house.

Doorbells with in-built camera are useful for catching the perps after the event but they are often too dim to realise that there is a camera on them so they go ahead and burgle if there is no reponse to the door bell.

There is no single solution to security so strength should be in depth ie use several different systems. One quite effective external deterrent is a PIR detector that plays a recorded message. Like this..

http://www.optex-europe.com/products/optex/127-vx-402rec/

This lets them know that their presence has been detected before they have even pressed the bell to check if anyone is at home.

Another way is to use a pressure switch under the door mat on the door step that activates whatever action you want to have happen.

Yet another deterrent is to have a minature external camera dome above your doorway - even if it is not connected. Get a genuine one not a dummy as dummies are easy to suss out.

Your best defence against burglars is a proper door. Most of the world fits metal-framed and plated exit doors with multi-point locking systems. We in the UK are more likely to choose wood or plastic with predictable results. Don't buy cures, buy prevention: buy a proper door and with it proper peace of mind.

Hi thanks guys for your invaluable advice. Really helpful. Having had a look at the ring.com I did wonder if it worked on motion sensor only as well without ringing the doorbell so good to know it does Mands. Also the optex device seems like good deterent. Our door is thick multipoint locking which the police would even have trouble compromising without taking the whole frame off. It was just negligence not double locking it. I'm just glad my son was unharmed although a bit shaken at first he seems ok.

We bought a Canary system, got one by the front door and one in the upstairs hallway - it is a live feed and you get alerts on your mobile when there is activity detected... If you see someone in the house you can sound the alarm on the Canary and also phone emergency numbers (you choose who to call) - it also monitors temperature, humidity etc... Got ours from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014KWBXY0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hi wonderwoman,

Contact our local Safer Neighbourhood Team [email protected] asking for a Crime Prevention visit. You should then have 121 advice about what measures to take. This should also already have been offered as part of the victim support and cocooning to reduce the chance of a repeat offence against you and your family.

If not please email me to chase.

Hi Police gave us a card with cad number and there was a victim support cared I think as well. But not sure as I came home later whether they referred us to local SNT. The card had interestingly a flow chart of what happens after crime is reported and what we expect from Police, also a rate our service link on it. I will check with them though to see if they can offer some further advice. I just wanted to find out what people have tried and tested. As we live in a block we are also at risk from people letting others in so I contacted my housing officer who will write to remind other residents to only allow their own visitors in not others.