Peckham Rye to Farringdon

Marmattee

Toosmart1973 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Go by bike, you'll be there in 25 mins easy,

> without feeling being treated like livestock every

> commute of every working day.

Seconded, get on the Surrey Canal path round the back of Peckham library and through Burgess Park, tiny bit of very quiet road then you can take the segregated superhighway all the way to Farringdon. Save thousands a year, get fitter and never be at the mercy of train companies! Here endeth the evangelising...

Cycling is all well and good if you are reasonably fit, have somewhere to park your bike at home/work, and ideally a shower at work. It's not an automatic replacement for public transport.

The 63 is a good option if you're happy to sit on a bus for an hour.

ED - NAGAIUTB Wrote:

> The 8:10 to Blackfriars is the best train to aim

> for, I've found. It's usually half empty. Then

> when you get to Blackfriars, the 8:16 is hot on

> it's heels and you change onto that

And Blackfriars to Farringdon is a fairly short walk, if there's a problem with the following train.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Cycling is all well and good if you are reasonably

> fit, have somewhere to park your bike at

> home/work, and ideally a shower at work. It's not

> an automatic replacement for public transport.

>

> The 63 is a good option if you're happy to sit on

> a bus for an hour.

This. I'm really getting fed up with the terrible transport and am surprised with the lack of outrage. I would have expected our local politicians to be up in arms and making a lot of noise about it. Transport in London is heavilly subsidised - we're paying for services which aren't delivering.

Wait what happened to the London Bridge trains?! Thought there were several from platform 2.

I need to get to LSO St Lukes every day for a new job. It's slightly quicker to walk from Old Street than Farringdon. Does the London Bridge train (connecting me to Old St) not run anymore?!

RRR, I share your frustrations and cannot see it getting better, what with the uptick in numbers of people moving to SE22 and on bus routes that serve it. (Have you seen the hundreds of new flats, which are very welcome, along Camberwell and into Walworth?)

This is what I wrote on an earlier thread. (NB email address that may help):

I wrote to Helen Hayes earlier this year (March, I think). She passed on my queries and concerns (and suggestions, such as more buses or express versions at certain times) to Mike Brown, the London Transport Commissioner who in turn wrote back to me (via Fiona Lampard whose title is Assembly Management Manager, Government and Stakeholder Relations, Group Public Affairs (her capitals). In essence, what I learnt is that Camberwell station could be reopened but it would have a knock-on effect on other train movements and that it is being looked into; that 40s and 176s "are well used during peak periods but....below capacity as passengers can board these buses at these times. There is not sufficient demand to justify the cost of introducing more buses along the routes. The major cause of bus delays is traffic congestion, rather than dwell time at stops. Therefore an express service would not necessarily be quicker than a service that stops more regularly."

So, if you want to get in touch with Mike Brown vis-a-vis the extra pressure on bus routes given the Southern debacle, please do so via [email protected] . Why not copy in the Mayor and Helen Hayes too?

poppet27 Wrote:

> Wait what happened to the London Bridge trains?!

Where have you been for the past year?

They've been horrendously unreliable ever since the London Bridge redevelopment started. And the the past couple of months the morning service was slashed to one per hour...