Cards/Mail being folded through letterbox

Alec1

Wondered if anyone else is having this issue? Christmas cards and other mail is being folded to go through my letterbox which I really don't understand as it's 9.5 inches long. (Yes, I sadly measured!) Okay, it's not end of world but it's frustrating as cards are damaged.

I had a Letter (A5)folded and stuffed in my letterbox but not all the way through.

(A4 letters go through my letterbox with no problem. )

It was a government brown envelope with sensitive personal data .

I have twice before reported this problem to Royal Mail.

It seems to be a training issue likely to be worse this time of year with trainees being temp. staff being taken on.

DulwichFox

I did have this a few years ago with regular postie and had to complain as it happened twice with a moonpig card I had ordered for my daughters birthday. I caught him doing it second time, complained at sorting office. It's not the same person at moment though.

We have this problem at our house as well, especially the corners folded on records they have delivered to the point where the spine was snapped on a gatefold LP! That's pretty hard to do at the best of times! We either have folded letters or practically opened mail coming thought at the moment.

siousxiesue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes I've noticed most of my mail has a corner

> already open...almost like someone is checking

> there's no money inside?

A few years ago I experienced this. A new debit card was missing from the envelope with covering letter still inside, and corner ripped off. And guess what, 500? drawn at the Coop atm at the top of the road, moved over to enable Christmas spending. The Nationwide reimbursed but not without a fight.

Also, and although this happened years ago, we once had photographs sent to us from a young friend,

fairly large ones, in a brown envelope with a piece of card in for stiffness, and a written request,

'Photographs, please do not bend.' The envelope was carefully folded into four, pressure appied,

photographs and card

fractured, shoved through the letterbox. Contempt and spite, hateful behaviour, so upsetting.

Now if anything comes through damaged or tampered with I photograph it, and complain, and alert

the sender. Remember in the olden days when we had a regular postman who one would tip at Christmas

to thank him for his delivery in all weathers, and a genuine rapport. Bad apples ruin the barrel do

they not.

I have reported this to Royal Mail twice before and on the second time got an official letter/ reply from Royal Mail that the incident had been 'Logged' and the post person had been spoken to despite me saying that I was not trying to get the person into trouble.

It is still happening. It is difficult to get through to actually speak to a person and by-passing the automatic system they operate.

Seems they have a constant flow of new staff and the message does not filter through.

DulwichFox

Hi mynamehere

Royal mail's machinery reads the handwritten address on the envelope and converts it into code which is printed invisibly on the envelope to enable automatic sorting. Very occasionally it doesn't work correctly and it either reads the return address or misreads it completely. Ideally your postie should have spotted it before delivering it and sent it back for manual sorting.

Curiously from 1892 to 1969 the charge for sending an unsealed envelope (just folded in) was less than for sending a sealed one - hence most people sent Christmas cards unsealed. This concession was abandoned after the introduction of first and second class post. The concession had been introduced to allow the (cheaper) posting of printed material (.g. newspapers) - and hijacked by a thrifty public. Some (older) people will still not stick down cards our of habit.