Fewer 176s in daytime

Jakido

It would be nice if this meant that they actually reached their boarded destination, rather than (almost always recently) stopping at the River in the early evening. But I am sure that won't change, it'll just mean waiting even longer for a bus that doesn't even 'get there'.

I noticed a new spec 185 yesterday.

Hopefully as part of re-tendering they at least have to bring in new buses? The 176 is woeful, I can't believe they upgraded the relatively new 40 last year and yet the 176 buses are still far older than the old 40s were. The 176 buses must be at least 20 years old?

Its SO annoying makes me think a public consultation is needed.

If they'd done this because they were introducing another forest hill east dulwich-oxford st or oxford circus route fine.

But they're not.

The overground is hideously overcrowded and the buses round here are pants.

it makes getting to and from work a nightmare.

I wrote to the GLA, via our MP, who sent me a reply suggesting that bus route changes/additions/tweaks were not needed because - I paraphrase - you could still squeeze your way on, Tokyo metro-style, to the 176 as it wheezed its way up LL like a stricken DC-10, it was all OK.

Transport in this area is getting unbearably bad. The trains are generally unreliable and the buses unpredictable. It's pretty clear that TFLs policy on tube expansion (see Northern and now Bakerloo) is to only investing public money where it can be used to subsidise developers, so unlikely to see any significant future investment in established areas. Best bet, seems to be a transfer of rail services to TFL, but with a Labour mayor and a Tory government, that looks a long way off too. So it's bike if you can.

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The 176s are 53-04 plate vehicles, 13 years old,

> probably with 500k miles on them by now. God knows

> how much NOx they're spewing out of their older

> gen diesels. They're incredibly noisy too.

I'm genuinely surprised they're only 13 years old! They look about twice that old. They've definitely had a hard life.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> They are a bit knackered - but surely an argument

> for introducing new ones, not reducing the

> service.

We are getting new buses on the 176 once the cuts are implemented, but less of them compared to now.

• 2 weeks later...

Bic Basher Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > They are a bit knackered - but surely an

> argument

> > for introducing new ones, not reducing the

> > service.

>

> We are getting new buses on the 176 once the cuts

> are implemented, but less of them compared to now.

More at peak time but less during the day it seems:

https://se23.life/t/176-bus-service-cut-from-november/3682/8?u=brett

I love the 176, have found it useful for many years - from a singleton as a night route from "town" all the way home when slightly worse for wear, to present day when it is quite a nice journey to Waterloo or further if you want to avoid the train or go at a leisurely pace and read or whatever...

I do agree it could do with updating, tho if it were "updating" to a 12 type I would worry if the air con is actually going to work (I see they have started adding some small windows to stop people collapsing from heat exhaustion if it goes over 15 degrees!). I do like the routemasters tho I have to say they look smart and 3 doors very handy! :)

Was on a 40, got on at Camberwell (so it had very likely come all the way from Aldgate) and there were six people, including me and the driver, on board, at around 1030.

More/larger/reduced-stop buses at peak times and fewer (10-15% fewer) during the day, or not, as an idea to make the service better for most people?