Is The Great Exhibition getting louder or what?

Beej

Far from it for me to be the world's greatest party pooper; I too like a good knees up once in a while, but does anyone else think the great exhibition is pushing it's luck on the old decibel metre as it encroaches upon 10pm onwards on Friday/Saturday night? I mean jeez louise, it's a quiet neighbourly road not bloody clapham high street. And don't get me started on the Blackpool illuminations strung all over it like a cheap night out at butlins. ughhh

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I popped in Saturday.

>

> Didn't think it was too loud - but was busy.

> Heineken less than ?5 - which is more than I can

> say for some of the other bars I frequent.

EDT Heineken ?4.20 Amstel ?4.10 Carlin ?3.80

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> JohnL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I popped in Saturday.

> >

> > Didn't think it was too loud - but was busy.

> > Heineken less than ?5 - which is more than I

> can

> > say for some of the other bars I frequent.

>

>

> EDT Heineken ?4.20 Amstel ?4.10 Carlin ?3.80

>

> DulwichFox

EDT not one of them - not naming the ?5+ bars :)

Sometimes I drink Camden Hells -I think that's often a little more than Heineken.

"quiet neighbourly road" is stretching it a bit, especially if you mean Crystal Palace Rd. The other road it's in is a bus route, neither are hardly village green locations.

You'll hear more noise when people are pissed up and in crowds, it's summer people are outside more - just when your windows are most frequently open.

Probably the only thing increasing is your level of annoyance at the sounds.

Please let's not see another Gowlett-esque attempt at noise abatement on a pub that people have moved to, knowing full well the pub was there (and has been for 150yrs).

Houses in the countryside are a LOT cheaper than ED, the sensible option and most reasonable expectation surely is to go there and achieve peace rather than trying to convert a busy London crossroads into a scene from Little House On The Prairee.

I actually do think it is getting a bit louder too. I am close to the pub, like the refurb they did when taking over the pub. However it is a residential area - and quite quiet in the evening apart from the pub (so not a busy cross roads KK as it is during the day). Don't think the OP is suggesting a noise abatement order - just a bit of consideration from the pub landlord re music levels?

Those who have been around long enough might remember a parade of shops opposite the pub, So it hasn't always been a completely residential area.

However I do sympathise though. I would think a nicely worded and polite email to the pub would be a good start.

We say residential areas - but the bottom of Rye Lane is now higher density residential than many "residential" areas - however we all acknowledge the pubs/clubs were there first - so noise is tolerated - but more residential incomers every year.

But has anybody actually done any noise planning when 7 story buildings are being built next to pubs that have been noisy for years (anyway off topic as I assume the CPT was there about the same time as the residents or built after).

In my opinion the pub wasn't that noisy on Saturday Evening - they do have a DJ but it's not really excessive. Most problems I've seen are people going home a bit worse for wear.

I don't live next to the pub so wouldn't know exact noise levels but when I've been there on a Saturday I wouldn't say it's a rave. I wouldn't say it was a loud pub. the castle up the road is louder - try that one.

The great exhibition has fun nights and good crowd of people. Never any anti social behaviour. Yea beer can always be cheaper but that's the same as everywhere now.

And I love the lights (sorry but were you hoping for them to take them down) its all good fun

Once a decent proper locals pub, now yet another soulless gastro refit with overpriced beers. Trouble is, if you live next to a boozer that's been there for well over a hundred years, don't expect it to be quiet. I'd sooner go to the castle just up the road, think that's where some of the old CPT regulars ended up after the yuppie refit.

Louisa.

I just pop in different pub at various times for a change of scenery - I'm not a one pub man - more a pub crawl.

Think it was the Bishop afterwards (as it's open to 2:00 Saturday). I'm quiet going home though (usually) - I know for a fact some people sing.

I live fairly close to the great exhibition, love the atmosphere and never found it to be too noisy. Like the lights too, although I did prefer when they were all white bulbs, the various colours do create a bit of a circus look. Great local though, always got plenty going on.

Louisa Wrote:

> Once a decent proper locals pub, now yet another

> soulless gastro refit with overpriced beers.

> Trouble is, if you live next to a boozer that's

> been there for well over a hundred years, don't

> expect it to be quiet. I'd sooner go to the castle

> just up the road, think that's where some of the

> old CPT regulars ended up after the yuppie refit.

>

> Louisa.

Here we go... A proper locals pub that hardly anyone used. I went in there many nights when there were just a couple of sweary builders at the bar. Otherwise it was mostly dead. I'm glad it's busy now and not some crap flats which would have been the other option. I sympathise about the noise though. I mostly find it too loud to sit in.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Once a decent proper locals pub, now yet

> another

> > soulless gastro refit with overpriced beers.

> > Trouble is, if you live next to a boozer that's

> > been there for well over a hundred years, don't

> > expect it to be quiet. I'd sooner go to the

> castle

> > just up the road, think that's where some of

> the

> > old CPT regulars ended up after the yuppie

> refit.

> >

> > Louisa.

>

> Here we go... A proper locals pub that hardly

> anyone used. I went in there many nights when

> there were just a couple of sweary builders at the

> bar. Otherwise it was mostly dead. I'm glad it's

> busy now and not some crap flats which would have

> been the other option. I sympathise about the

> noise though. I mostly find it too loud to sit in.

A proper locals pub that was hardly used because the demographic changed. In my day this place was rammed. I too am glad it's not flats, but it would be nice to have a few reasonably priced pubs in the area that get the balance between old and new just right. The Gowlett does it pretty well, as does the EDT. If I want a proper old school pub I know I need look no further than The Castle, it's the sort of environment I've come to enjoy over the years. Some people might feel comfortable paying a fortune for a pint in a gastrofied pub with no atmosphere, but that isn't my cup of tea.

Louisa.

Well you can't turn back time. Don't moan about the GE then if you've got at least three pubs you like. I love pubs but I don't love them all. I probably like the same kind of old school pubs you do. EDT, Gowlett, Ivy House etc. But I will defend to my dying breath people's right to drink in a noisier boozer. I love seeing a vibrant busy pub. Exactly the same with the Watson's (nee Rose, FHT). That had had been slowly dying for years and many on here said there was no market for a pub there barring a few Millwall fans. Now it's constantly packed and a marvellous addition to my end of ED.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> Well you can't turn back time. Don't moan about

> the GE then if you've got at least three pubs you

> like. I love pubs but I don't love them all. I

> probably like the same kind of old school pubs you

> do. EDT, Gowlett, Ivy House etc. But I will defend

> to my dying breath people's right to drink in a

> noisier boozer. I love seeing a vibrant busy pub.

> Exactly the same with the Watson's (nee Rose,

> FHT). That had had been slowly dying for years and

> many on here said there was no market for a pub

> there barring a few Millwall fans. Now it's

> constantly packed and a marvellous addition to my

> end of ED.

It really depends on my mood which pub I'm in - I like to have a variety. I like live music though and not so much of that now.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for The Peckham Pelican, other times EDT or GE or the Commercial/Half Moon or the Montpelier. Sometimes Wetherspoons :)

We do actually have a good choice.

The CPT used to be my local, and I loved it dearly, but sadly it was dying through lack of punters.

I like the GE but do agree it's noisy. Have several times gone in and walked straight out because of the noise.

But then I'm getting old and like a quiet life :)

ETA: JohnL, lots of live music at The Ivy House, all sorts, check it out!

Very unlike me to even notice the noise at the GE though I am very close to it. However one night not too long ago I was woken up by what sounded like a very noisy crowd outside the pub. I looked out and saw it was just two females. I shouted over to them would they mind keeping it down. The response I got was along the lines of 'we're just in the pub having a good time'. My quick witted response was along the lines of 'I'm just in bed and I'm not having a good time'. That shook them.....I think.