Advice needed - found hibernating queen bumble bee in a drawer..

Bumpkin

I've just opened a drawer full of old stuff and woken a queen bumble bee! She's huge and no longer asleep. I've gently trapped her under a large glass but not sure if it's ok to turf her outside in this weather, will she die? Any advice appreciated.

Don't keep her trapped under a glass (she needs oxygen); don't put her outside, she will die in the cold; give her a small amount of heavily sugared water (or even honey) - in a teaspoon in front of her; leave her in the drawer in the dark (drawer probably very slightly open). With luck she will go back to sleep and wake up normally in the spring. Only bumble queens over-winter.

The queen would be best put where the temperature will be below 7c to stop her thinking that spring has come, so ending hibernation. She will only have a limited amount of reserves, so a 50% suger syrup solution would be useful if she is awake. She should be hibernating underground, protected from frost. A box in an outside shed would be great as long as there is an easy spring escape route.

Honey bees will fly when the temperature is over 10c. My hives all have hibernating queen wasps, neatly folded up in their rooves. 2017 was not a good year for wasps so they made a good choice as they have underfloor central heating provided by the bees.

I suspect your queen has buzzed her way to extinction, but great you have tried to help.

Hi, thanks so much for offers of advice, I contacted Marsden Road wildlife centre and bumblebee conservation society and they both advised feeding with sugar water and putting outside in a safe place which we duly did. Fingers crossed for lots of bumblebees in a few months time!!