Should you report verbal abuse?

Thoughts please!

I was subjected to some pretty nasty verbal abuse at around 5pm this evening near Sainsburys.

This guy on a bike was heading straight towards me on the path and I had to shift out of the way quickly or he would have hit me. He was looking straight at me as though he was doing it on purpose. I couldn't help but look back at him as he really would have hit me if I hadn't moved out the way. And he just started saying "Fuck you b*tch, wh*re, I'll f*cking spit in your face bitch... (more vitriolic expletives)". I was a bit shocked so looked back at him again, at which point he said "That's it, f*cking wh*re" threw his bike down and started walking towards me. I didn't look back at him again and just walked away. Nothing happened.

There were lots of people round, women and small kids sadly, so although I felt a bit shakey I didn't really think he would actually do anything. But the way it happened it just seemed as though he was cycling around on his bike looking for someone to take his anger out on.

Just wondering what the consensus is with reporting things like this to the police. It feels like a waste of time because no harm was done, but I would not like to meet this guy when it was dark and no-one was around. Also, I live close by so am a little bit worried about seeing him again.

I've lived in ED for 8 years and never had this before. Maybe I've been living in a bubble all this time!

He's clearly a very troubled individual. I just find it very sad. Is it best to just leave it?

Sorry for your experience, sounds foul. It is a crime under the Public Order Act (threatening behaviour/fear or provocation of violence). Probably worth police knowing about it, contrary to the "can't be bothered" idea often put out in the media etc, a copper I was talking to at a social event recently said they like to get lots of information about what's going on in the area so they have at least an idea of what to look out for and where bad things might be happening. If you have time, call 101 and get it logged with any description you might have, it might well help.

I saw a guy, white, early 30s? athletic build go down the path towards ED station two weeks ago, went at speed down the middle path despite people walking up towards Sainsburys and shouted expletives at them to move, disgusting behaviour. That tiny path is a warzone as it is without idiots like this behaving like that.

Hope you are not too shook up and report it.

I had a similar thing happen with someone riding on the pavement in the Village one evening, but he was wearing a full motorbike crash helmet wrapped with flashing lights. He really swore at me to get out of the way and shouted a lot but I couldn't understand a lot of it through the helmet, thankfully. He also stopped the bike once he'd passed me and looked like he was going to stop for a row.

Could be the same guy without the helmet as the abuse came out of nowhere and for no reason other than me walking home on the pavement. He wasn't young, in his 50's at a guess.

The flashing lights and crash helmet did make me think that he had other problems going on, not just me being in the way so I hurried home a little gobsmacked but gob firmly shut.

As stated, this amounts to a public order offence and is definitely something you should report. There may be CCTV available on his route, too. If you can remember which way he was travelling, what he looked like, what he was wearing, and any details about his bike, that would be useful for the police when they come to review any CCTV, as well as a fairly accurate time frame. You can also find your local neighbourhood policing team via the met website using your postcode - they may also be worth a shout in addition to 101.