Oldy but a goody (Chopsticks restaurant venue)

Wid

Think this topic has been raised before but what is the word on the street re. the chop sticks premises?? We're still mourning the world's best sweet n sour chicken balls...not another Indian surely?

I thought the new barbers was on the site of the old off-licence. Chopsticks is still standing empty.

Wid, if you liked it fair enough - but there are much, much better chinese restaurants around (and much better dishes than s&s chicken balls!)

• 1 month later...

Where? Plenty in town but I'm talking local. Reccommendations welcomed!

Chop Sticks was so good because it wasn't swimming in grease and felt mildly healthy...excluding the s&s chicken balls of course although at least they weren't re-fried...

Loz, you are right... I realised that this weekend. The offy is still there.

Wid, unfortunately there's not much choice locally, but if you are willing to get on the bus/bike/car/train then Dragon Castle near Elephant & Castle is very good. People seem to rate Lamoon in Camberwell, I have not tried it though.

charliecharlie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> new veggie indian restaurant - SMBS and

> cheeseblock link

Tis true there is a link. One of the SMBS guys was coming out of the chopsticks building on Friday afternoon.

Hope it's going to be a bloody good Indian place and not just generic dishes. Does the fact that it will be veggie offer more hope?

chrisz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lordship Lane ---> Brick Lane

Almost. It just needs a few cool bars, a few cool sneaker shops, an old brewery, a few

cool people, a bit more irony, a few cool bagel shops, a giant D-face sculpture, a few more

cool kids and a touch of slightly uneasy religious/cultural harmony and yeah, it's Brick Lane.

Hi,

"Curry house" has been mentioned more than once in this thread...It's a pity that this term is used as Indian cuisine is much more than curries! It's almost tantamount to calling a restaurant serving British cuisine a chip shop! Anyway, it is likely that an Indian vegetarian restaurant would serve all sorts of snacks e.g. dosas (very thin rice flour pancakes stuffed with tasty fillisng), bhel puri (tiny little flat breads heaped with lovely tasty things topped with a date chutney); idli sambar (rice cakes with a hot gravy with vegetables)...and more like this. If this is the case, it will certainly not e a "curry house" or like other Indian restaurants on LL. We'll have to wait and see what they come up with.

Someone mentioned Brick Lane...two major differences. The waiters in LL are not hanging out on the road hassling people to try out their highly over-rated fare; secondly, the food in LL is far superior to that in Brick Lane today - they seem to think that pouring different coloured gravies on thawed chicken should result in a chicken curry - well, IMO it doesn't!

I LOVE bhel puri and dosas but can't stand sickly spicy nondescript meat dishes like you get in most anglicised Indian restaurants so food as Shaila describes would be very welcome. If we had something like Diwana (sp?) in Drummond Street they'd be packed all the time.