What to do in Dulwich

sfreitas

Hi There! I have been living in East Dulwich for about a year.

I'm from Portugal and I want to meet new people, expand my social life because honestly and this moment it just "sucks" :'(

For people who live around and can give me some advice in where to go, maybe some club that i could join so I could meet some new people...

Any advice guys??

Thanks

Sara

Hey guys!

The following is a summary of the first DVVS meeting, including our campaigns.

Our first meeting was a great success, 14 people attended ? much chocolate consumed and much discussed! We now have 60 members of the DVVS!

Action points:

Master Plan! A casestudy of Dulwich listing anywhere that sells vegan or veggie products. The quicker we understand what in Dulwich isn?t vegan, the quicker we can make it vegan!

Please help source information ? do you know the owner / managers name of a Dulwich shop, is there a product you would like a shop to sell eg. Soya Milk? Once we have all this data, I will email and post out a letter asking the owners to get in touch with me. The top 5 vegan friendly businesses will then be listed with an accompanying article in the local newspaper, as well as on our website (soon to be created) our flyers and in the newsletter.

Vegan Ice Cream in Cinemas ? we are looking to launch a campaign to encourage cinemas to serve Vegan Ice Cream, if you have any suggestions on Ice cream companies or Cinemas please let me know! Jo and Laura are working on this project, if you would like to help them then let me know.

Parmesan Cheese is not veggie ? we are looking to inform all Dulwich restaurants that serve Parmesan cheese on their veggie dishes that it is not veggie, and encourage them to use an alternative such as ?Parmazano?. Heading up this campaign will be Roisin and Nat, let me know if you can give them a hand. We need all the names of restaurants that are serving Parmesan under a vegetarian labelling.

Vegan Parents ? are you, or do you know of any vegan parents in the Dulwich or the wider South East London area ? it would be great to get in touch with them?

Liaising with other groups ? do you have any contacts we could network or liaise with, we are currently building networks with the Dulwich Going Greener, The Blue Brick Caf?, Croydon Indian Vegetarians, Southwark Friends of the Earth and the East Dulwich Orchard Collective ?

Grow your own? If you are interested in growing veg please email me and we?ll find you some space to grow your own!

Thank you ? all help is greatly appreciated!

Thomas

Hi sfreitas,

If you like football, you could check out the ladies football kickabout on Sunday at the Rye, it's posted in the What's On section:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?6,470578

DJKillaQueen from the forum organises it all, so you should either respond to the thread above or pm her for the details. I don't go myself but my better half does and I know she absolutely loves it - I have met a few of the girls and they're all lovely people.

As a side note, I found it very hard when we first moved to London - it can be very alienating and lonely at times, but it's a completely different place once you get a network of friends.

Good luck, hope you find something that interests you!

I think some people from this forum meet up every so often for drinks, does anyone have the details they could give to Sara?

Also, I do BMF on Peckham Rye Park which seems pretty social. I've never been, but loads of the attendees go for drinks the first Wednesday of every month. I've always thought that if I was new to an area, into fitness, wanted to be a bit more social it would be a good way of meeting people and of course the obvious benefits of getting fit at the same time!

And before anyone asks, no I don't work for them.