Construction work at William Booth college

TonyQuinn

Does anyone know what's going on with the Salvation Army's former HQ opposite Denmark Hill station. Is the college being converted into housing? Has King's taken it over? Why all the traffic-works?

I searched on here but couldn't find a thread relating to this huge endeavour.

There's lots about it on the SA site and on Southwark planning - it is being retained by the SA and will remain a training and education facility. They are updating a lot of the existing accommodation (disabled access etc) and adding more.

I thought the existing traffic works on that bit of Denmark Hill were part of the long process of replacing water/gas/electricity services which have been ongoing in SE22 for what seems like forever? Haven't looked too closely however.

http://www1.salvationarmy.org.uk/uki/www_uki.nsf/vw-dynamic-index/646D93957B28B4068025754E0043547C?Opendocument

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9530610

I work for The Salvation Army and can confirm that it is still The William Booth College of Training for Salvation Army Officers. It has over the years suffered immense subsidence and the inside has been in a bad state of repair. But because of the presevation order on it the updates and the finance for such a project has been on hold for many years. The project is due to be finished early 2012.

Inside the college will be bought upto the 21st Century inside unlike its Victorian and rundown appearence inside. The accommodation is also being bought upto scratch. The building is not being sold or being made into private flats as was rumoured or feared.

Any further questions I will do my best to answer them for you.

Thanks

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This thread is about Camberwell. Admin?!

"Discuss life in London's East Dulwich. Talk about local restaurants, pubs, shops, services, transport, planning, it's up to you." That's what Mr/Mrs/Ms Administrator have stated should be discussed in this section.

If traffic jams related to roadworks, which started originally outside Denmark Hill station and are now heading south down Dog Kennel Hill, is not an East Dulwich issue, I don't know what is. Mr Dale, would you say that a thread about Dulwich Cricket Club should not be in this section, because the club is actually situated in Herne Hill. With respect Mr Dale, I suggest you up the quality of your contribution. All the best TQ