More Roadworks In Rye Lane

trentk69

As I walked from the bus stop that the number 12 and 197 have been diverted to, up onto Rye Lane and to Peckham Rye train station this morning, I noticed that the workers seem to be digging up the same piece of road that they had worked on and sealed up a week or so ago...

Did they forget something?

Are they on track to finish this work by the end of November as previously stated, or perhaps they are ahead of schedule and need to drag the work out until then?

When will these disruptions end, and what is next?

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What is next is resurfacing of the entirety of Rye

> Lane....much needed I think all will agree.

Is this definitely happening?

As a cyclist who use Rye Lane almost every working day, this is great news.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> Keep to the diversion I say it's quicker most

> mornings.

I have to say, I think the current diversion where buses only go one way down Rye Lane is a massive improvement. Bit more of a walk to PR station, and getting a double decker bus under the bridge on Consort Road needs to be done carefully, but traffic is just so much more freeflowing...

I might run the risk to say something very unpopular but I find the disruption in Rye Lane a massive hassle and I look forward for the roadworks to be over! as someone who doesn't own a car I think that priority should be given to public transports (and authorized delivery van for the shops) and the rest of the traffic should permanently be diverted.

it's getting darker and colder and whilst car drivers can at least comfortably seat in the warmth of their car, we public transport passengers have to walk half a mile or more to catch a bus from the train station!

Yes the Lane is definitely going to be resurfaced in entirety once the water and other works are finished.

There are constant discussions about what can be done to improve the traffic/ pedestrian flow in Rye Lane. There are no easy solutions and it may be while before any ideas on the table form any kind of formal proposal seeking funding. But it is at least on the radar of discussion amongst the planning and transport powers that be.

JohnL Wrote:

> Make permanent delivery areas - knocking down one

> or two shops - and free up a square around the

> station

The square has been pushed by the Peckham Society / Peckham Vision bunch a few times, there are some complex land/building ownership issues with Network Rail I think.

Thames Water finishing their works and a complete resurface by the end of November? Really? What else? There more chance of that mythical Waitrose/M&S Foodhall popping up in place of the old Woolworths if you ask me. As I understand it, there is now legislation in place "the Streetworks Act" which charges companies who (not unreasonably now and then) have to dig up the carriageway to maintain their assets, and charges them even more if they over run...I wonder if we'll see any of the revenue from those charges put into the development of Rye lane...

Why don't you ask Simon Philips at at the panning department yourself? Resurfacing of Rye Lane has always been the final part of the works to both the North and South end of the Lane. That's why people like I bother to engage with the local council, councillors, attend meetings and so on.....so that cynical idiots like you can dismiss the information from those of us that actually know what's going on of course.

@ DJKilla Queen - I've no problem with being called a cynic, but I do take exception to the "idiot" label. If you have the time and inclination to contact the council, not least with the positive belief to take what they say as fact, then all power to you. The world needs more people like you.

If, however, you get time between corresponding with the council and riding your high horse down Rye Lane, you might want to reign your neck in a little at your pithy name calling to a comment which is born simply from freezing my backside off and getting occasionally soaked while walking the half mile to and from station to bus stop twice a day every day for the last few months.

neilson99, I completely agree with you. DJKQ is absolutley out of line, and perhaps a little drunk on the fumes of power that must exude from all the council meetings. To call the humble commuter (you, me, et al) who is frustrated by what seems to be yet more excuses, delays and diversions from this work, a "cynical idiot" is a little rich.

Perhaps I should make time to attend these council meetings, but unfortunately in the real world, I have to hold down a job, pay my mortgage and try to carry on as best I can, so any spare time to me is very precious... hence, to my detriment, I do take the information I am given at face value. This photo was taken yesterday - already a week over due, and they are still digging deeper.

Whatever guys.....I manage to work AND find out things rather than ranting and whining in a forum because there are a few road works happening for a few months and having to walk a little. And neilson my reaction to your post was the ignorant sarcasm with which you wrote.

The improvements to Rye Lane have taken two years to plan and take time to execute. They've cost a lot of money and are badly needed. Not everyone is happy with the things like the cycle contra flow etc but being involved is better than leaving planners to their own devices. They WILL be finished in the not too distant future.