motorcycle thieves

ken cat

Lock up(pref to a rotwieler) your pride and joy bikers ,just recently heard of a spate of bike thefts in Underhill,Dawson hights area,i'm on Crystal palace road, So took extra precautions ,thank the lord because low and behold someones done the ignition barrel on my Triumph in an attempt to nick it!!! if your partly unfortunate like me and still have bike best to report to the cops because they may want to finger print etc. p.s. thieves will prob pick up machine and use a van so chain to some thing else! , good luck Ken cat

Hi ken cat... my partner had his Triumph nearly stolen at 6am this morning. A neighbour disturbed the two guys and they sped off on their motorbike. We're on the Dutch Estate and they found it to the side of our houses in a locked car park. I know nothing about bikes but from what I gather they have done the same to his bike - taken out the ignition. The neighbour saw two guys on one motorbike with no helmets on, only black balaclavas. My partner is from now on chaining it to a post for further security.

Not that it's much help, but I saw 3 youths without helmets pushing a scooter motorbike through Dulwich Village at about 6.20pm on Monday eve - looked odd. They also seemed to have just been hassled by 2 seperate males who ran off and got into a car.

Might all be soemthing and nothing, but just in case it is connected in anyway

Just spoke to police from victim focus desk and she told me if you see any body attempting theft and they leg it you can ring 999 at that point but if its after the fact then call 0300 123 1212 .... the safer neighbourhood team came round a few months ago after we were burgled and when they found out i had a motorcycle they gave me two disc locks free!! and that along with an oxford chain probably saved my bike so its well worth getting in touch with them .

cool thanks, just wanted to see how close there were to each other.

It goes with out saying that 1 or 2 d-locks are a must in London plus a cover, out of sight out of mind etc...

I'm about to get a CBR600 and mega anxiuos about it getting nicked. Ask your neighbours to stay vigilant, ours are always on the look out for bad'uns as our road is well populated with bikes/scooters.

It may be worth buying a dummy CCTV camera that looks down the road on a neutral bit of property, only ?15-20.

Safe riding.

A cover is good - a dirty old tarp stops the opportunists.

A chain or disc lock will stop the hammer-and-screwdriver mob, but nothing except a ground anchor and chain stops the most common M.O.: four blokes loading the bike into a van with cut-off scaffold poles.

In case anyone is thinkng of getting a new chain and ground anchor, I recommend these http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=1

They are seriously thick and heavy so only really of use for security at your home location but they are the toughest around. They look like something used to moor the Titanic. Most popular chains can be bolt cropped but for these they'll need an angle grinder which tends to make a lot more noise.

I'm not connected with this company by the way, I just rate their product.

EDIT: Oops... posted under the wife's account, I'm Alfie Noakes. Not that I post much.

For those of you within the Nunhead and Peckham Rye Ward which DOES include quite a bit of East Dulwich around Forest Hill Road, a way up Barry Road, The Gardens and so on, do come tonight to the Police Ward Panel so you can discuss this subject with the police.

On the What's On Section there are all the details, but basically it is at 7pm tonight Thurs 17th Feb 2011 at the Rye Hill Tenants and Residents Association Hall. This is on the Peckham Rye SE15 side of the park in front of the three Rye Hill Park Tower Blocks, and around the corner from the Harris Girls Sports Academy.