Windows 10 upgrade fail

DulwichFox

right-clicking Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Foxy,

>

> Download the iso from M/S and do a clean install.

Thank you for your reply in view of your own current situation.

Had a look at that.. Is it still free. ??

Foxy

Just read this..

update 7/30/2015

Important Note: You have to go through the upgrade process before doing a clean install. That makes your valid Windows 7 or 8.1 key associate with your Windows Account. If you don?t, you will need to call Microsoft, and everyone know how horrible that is! Here?s what Microsoft says:

Once you?ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device.

You won?t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You?ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you?ve upgraded.

Don't think I will bother

Foxy

Sue Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Crikey! I thought Vista went out with the Ark.

>

>

> My ancient laptop runs Vista :))

Microsoft stopped selling Windows Vista at retail in October 2010, and PC makers stopped selling Vista-based computers in October 2011.

Support for Windows Vista without any service packs ended on April 13, 2010. To continue support, make sure you've installed Windows Vista SP2.

Support for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) ended on July 12, 2011. To continue support, make sure you've installed Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2)

Microsoft will end "Mainstream Support" for Windows Vista, moving into an "Extended Support" phase that lasts through April 11, 2017.

Microsoft will no longer offer of no-charge incident support, warranty claims and design fixes for the 5-year-old operating system.

Time to upgrade..

Foxy

Salsaboy Wrote:

> Vista here too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You don't know if its broken.. It's not fully supported..

Nasty Malware may well be stealing your data undetected.

Vista was probably the worst version of windows Microsoft ever released..

DulwichFox

Salsaboy Wrote:

> Vista here too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Windows follows the Star Trek rule - every second one is poo.

Are there any thoughts whether the upgrade is more likely to be successful on 7 or 8?

My computer, on 7, recently automatically installed 10 much to my "grrrr no you bloomin' well aint, stop it ya bugger!" rantings and it all went well - even had laptop at the ready to search for problems and all that...

Now, of course I'm expecting my laptop, on 8, to get clever ideas an do the same. Can I be lucky twice?

If Windows 10 keeps trying to install automatically ..

Here's how to stop iy doing so.

Tap on the Windows-key on the keyboard, type programs and features, and hit enter. This opens the list of software installed on the system.

Switch to "view installed updates" on the left side of the window.

If you are using Windows 7, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2952664, 3021917

If you are using Windows 8, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2976978

Right-click one update after the other and select uninstall from the context menu.

Select Restart Later when the prompt appears and remove all updates first from the system.

Once done, restart the computer to complete the process.

Once you are done, it is important that you block these updates from being found and installed again by Windows Update. If you don't do this and have automatic updates enabled, they may be installed again on the system.

To block these updates, do the following:

Tap on the Windows-key, type Windows Update, and hit enter.

This should open the Windows Update dialog.

Select "check for updates" to find new updates to install on the system. Windows should find the updates listed above again.

Click on the "important update is available" link.

Right-click each of the listed updates above that are listed on the page and select hide update from the context menu.

This blocks the update from being installed on the system.

This does work if you complete the process.

DulwichFox

edcam Wrote:

> I wouldn't recommend Windows 10, it's a piece of

> s**t and had caused me untold problems.

10 is the final resting place of Windows however.