Home Surveillance Cameras/CCTV

ed_pete

What's your opinion on Home Surveillance Cameras / CCTV ?

Does it act as a deterrent to burglary or not ? I'm thinking not much - surely most modern day opportunist burglars would just cover their heads and faces wouldn't they ? If the camera is accessible then wouldn't they just rip it off the wall (or wherever) ?

In the absence of any kind of alarm, would it have to be combined with some kind of movement sensor to be of any use so that you could be alerted when away from home ?

Interested in what others think.

But if outdoors, how can it differentiate between cats, foxes, pigeons etc and people ? I don't want to be woken up on holiday just to watch wildlife ? If indoors then the damage - the breaking and entering is already done.

Hi

Having been staying at a friend's house 2 weeks ago and burglars crept around as we slept, then our neighbour's car was stolen (to order) whilst she walked her dog on Sunday I've just installed a camera, this one http://amzn.eu/0fPqNEu

After both incidents one of the first things asked by the police is "do you have cctv"?

So, does it act as a deterrent to burglary or not. I don't know yet but this seems to say yes:

Do burglar alarms and CCTV work? Burglar secrets revealed

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/burglar-alarms-and-home-security/article/burglar-alarms-and-home-security/do-burglar-alarms-and-cctv-work-burglar-secrets-revealed

We asked what puts burglars off, and the top five things were:

71% having an alarm system

71% having a dog in the home

52% people in the property

46% CCTV

21% outdoor/sensor lights

They don't always over their faces, it's too obvious they're up to no good to a passer-by.

If you can hide the camera (but then it's not a deterrent) and/or make it inaccessible then all the better.

The one I have has a movement sensor so I get emailed a snapshot, and a video gets uploaded to the cloud for safe keeping. So if a burglar does rip it off the wall you can record them doing so. After a day I'm already bored of the emails showing me a branch has moved in the wind so I'm still playing with it. Quality is surprisingly good though but you do need to be a bit techy to set up the send-video-to-cloud bit.

I'd never expect to capture someone in the act with it though, I'd have to be glued to the screen for that to happen.

One of the things my company does is install CCTV and the one bit of advice I'd give is that if you putting in multiple cameras don't mount them too high. You'd be surprised how much footage you see from some systems we've encountered where all you see is the top of people's heads. It does increase the likelihood of damage to the cameras but if you have two covering each other then it's difficult for someone to vandalise one without being caught on the other.

Also the cheaper cameras usually have poor infra red coverage so nighttime recording is not that clear. you can get IR floodlights that will boost the coverage in an area very well

My front door is covered by 2 CCTV cameras which stream live to my mobile and PC. I think they're a good thing. They do act as a deterrent plus I never open the front door until I've checked the camera. Also help out when delivery firms tell you you weren't at home when they called as happened to me last Friday.