Odd encounter in dulwich park

millymoll

My daughter, 13, with quite a large group of school friends, was approached by a man yesterday "doing a 'survey'" in Dulwich Park. He walked away with signatures and their names and the name of their school, though they were sensible enough not to give out addresses or phone details etc. Can't think what he was after but it doesn't sound very innocent.

Do warn your children not to give out any information. Our daughter and friends were gutted that although they have all learned repeatedly about not giving information out they were lulled into doing just that.

Exam Question.

There is a dodgy person hanging around the park, apparently surveying school children. What do you do first?

a) inform the local internet forum

b) inform the school

c) inform the local press, or

d) report the matter to the police.

I mean, really, is this not obvious people?? Is this the sort of question that used to flummox adults on "Are You Smarter Than A 10 Year Old"?

Because it seems to be normal behaviour on the EDF. Loads of people reporting stuff - not just this - that should be going straight to the police. The 'strange bloke near playground' thread a couple of weeks ago springs immediately to mind.

And no one on here had mentioned the police had been informed.

Lordy.

The police? Informing the school?

Really?!

The undercurrent of hysteria here is worrying. Are men not allowed to conduct surveys in parks? Or ask children questions? What is he going to do with such worrying information as a name or which school they attend?

It sounds like the sort of surveys you get on High Streets all the time. And cold callers for companies like YouGov or other polling people.

What nefarious practises do you think this man with a clipboard is up to exactly? Does he get his sexual jollies through asking people multiple choice questions?

String him up.

I'm with David on this. I'm all for caution, and will raise my girls to not be stupid and go off with strangers and all that. BUT, we are moving towards a world where no one can talk to anyone without raising suspicion.

Paying children for information (signatures,school year,names,age, facebook details) in public parks is not normal. But David Carnell (and others) you are welcome to urge your children to take no notice of this thread.

I've been paid to give my opinion on beer bottle labels so there's money for old rope out there.

Market research companies pay for all sorts of nonsense.

Fortunately Master Carnell is not yet old to read this sort of Brass Eye-esque tabloid fear mongering. But when he grows up I'll be sure to tell him of the good old days when people approached strangers in the street, asked them questions and weren't reported to the police.

Excuse me, I think there is a paediatricians car somewhere I need to daub with paint.

I'm still yet to be convinced that either:

a) He has broken any law

b) Could possibly use the information he gathered for nefarious purposes

So I'm concerned that this sort of thing gets reported on a public forum and this chap gets demonised or labelled. Trial by mob.

Also, someone asked why do this in a park rather than through a school. I'm presuming that if it is the opinions of teenagers that is wanted, a park during the Easter holidays would seem a sensible place to go. Also, approaching a group of friends wouldn't seem to be the behaviour of someone acting suspiciously - a lone teen would seem a more logical target.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So I'm concerned that this sort of thing gets reported on a public forum and this chap gets

> demonised or labelled. Trial by mob.

Which is why I say report it to the police and let them handle it. It tends to circumvent the torches and pitchforks brigade.

"What nefarious practises do you think this man with a clipboard is up to exactly? Does he get his sexual jollies through asking people multiple choice questions?

String him up."

Post of the week.

Truly I despair of the world we're creating. No wonder our children are the most cossetted and afraid in Europe (according to the NSPCC who may well have just been trying to scare you into donations with some clever marketing (doubtless performed by men with clipboards)).

I'm beginning to think a designer tin-foil hat shop on Lordship Lane could be a goldmine!

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> david_carnell Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So I'm concerned that this sort of thing gets

> reported on a public forum and this chap gets

> > demonised or labelled. Trial by mob.

>

> Which is why I say report it to the police and let

> them handle it. It tends to circumvent the

> torches and pitchforks brigade.

Report him for what?! Talking to teenagers? Carrying a clipboard in an unseemly manner? Being called Peter File?

Bonkers.