Experience of St Johns and St Clements, Belham, Goose Green, Bellenden, Harris or Heber?

Sunglasses

I have a child in year 6 at St. John's and st Clements. We've been really pleased with the school. The teachers are good, there is a real emphasis on art, music and sport and they do forest school. Facilities are great and it has a large playground so children actually have lots of space to play. They have good communication with parents and always striving to improve. Most importantly the children are happy and engaged.

E2 - Thanks so much. What do you think of the new head? We were a bit underwhelmed at the open morning.

Also how 'churchy' is it? I went to a CofE primary but I never recall prayer trees in every classroom. It seems to be much more seriously Christian than the nominally Church schools I remember, but perhaps I'm over reacting.

We're not churchy and we don't find it too bad. My son never even mentions religion! For me the positives of the school completely cancel out the religious aspect. The new head is good. I don't think he does come across that well when speaking to large groups of parents but he has made some positive changes and does listen and respond to parent feedback.

We've been at the Belham since the start with our son and he absolutely loves it. I think the quality of teaching has been excellent and, despite some delays getting the refurb on the building complete, the full school building will be open next year and I think it's going to be a fantastic environment for them.

I totally agree with E2 on SJSC. We had the same choice as you Sunglasses as fortunately we were in a good street for multiple catchments. We were torn between the Belham and SJSC. Both fantastic schools (we are lucky to have so many good ones nearby) but I preferred SJSC. A lot of it is down to your own instinct and you need to judge based on your own children, but I felt SJSC offered a really well rounded education and a nuturing environment. I loved the music, sport and art facilities not to mention the large playground and forest school. It is also very representative of the local area which I felt was important. All reception children learn sign language too as it has a fantastic deaf unit.

All in all we are really happy with our decision and think it's a lovely school with a great PTFA and parent community. I am also not religious but I feel that the religion does give the school a nice structure and good underlying values of kindness, honesty and respect etc. My child also doesn't come home talking about religion. She does love the singing in assemblies though! My friend's child came home saying the world was created by Adam and Steve which I thought was hilarious -they obviously do teach all versions of creation!

The head is new and I don't think public speaking is his forte but I agree that he is making some great changes.

Do PM me if you have any specific questions x

We've a son and daughter in years 4 and 2 (respectively) at Goose Green, and both started in Nursey. They've always been really happy there. We moved out of the area for a while before my daughter started and a place came up at an outstanding school in the area we were moving to. We hesitated in taking the place because we were still within travelling distance of GG, but in the end took it, then regretted it instantly! I saw the decline in both my sons enjoyment of school and in his learning. We were really lucky that an opening came up back at Goose Green and we moved him back pretty swiftly!

The sense of community, great music and art (would you believe these aren't lessons in all schools these days), great staff, plus the way parents are welcomed into the classrooms regularly were all a draw for us, and my children have continued to flourish there.

There's been some change over the years we've been there, and that had an obvious effect on the last OFSTED, but I don't think it has affected my children's learning or enjoyment of the school at all. There's a new head there now, and they've also partnered with John Donne School who are outstanding, so the whole GG community are really excited about the future. It's a great school, with kind and enthusiastic teachers that in my experience have always made an effort to get to know the children individually.

We love it, but pop in and find out if it's for your family too - the PTA (FOGGS) are always happy to chat!

I'm one of the co-chairs of Friends of Goose Green School (FOGGS) and wanted to let you know there is a parent tour at the school on 5th December. The tour always includes tea and coffee with FOGGS at the end and is a great way to ask questions of parents with children currently at the school. I would really encourage you to attend and to see the brilliant arts and music facilities.

As a parent - the new head teacher is great and my children are really happy and flourishing, so I'm happy too!

• 4 months later...

I have a daughter in year 1 at Heber and can only sing their praises. She's August born, so one of the youngest, but is excelling in all areas and I can't say it's down to my husband and I in the slightest! She also LOVES school which I think is most important.

We live in a catchment black hole so I didn't have any great leaning towards any particular school and I knew I'd be relying on waiting lists. All the schools seemed really nice and I can only say I put Heber as no.1 because of how I felt when I viewed it. Didn't think we'd get in so we're thrilled when we did. I think your lucky to have such a good selection to choose from and I have friends with kids at most of them and they are all happy but I can happily recommend Heber.