So, what's your favourite Show me Show me song?

Otta

Ah, see I like Miss Mouse's song but for Bugglet it's the "Groovy Moves" that gets her on her feet and dancing!

Am slightly concerned that the highpoint of my first day back at work was having a Dad say to his little boy that I was as silly as Mr Tumble!! (he did mean it as a compliment!)

Yeah another Groovy Mover in our house, although she struggles with the "freeze" element!

Stuffy's...might be something to do with the fact it features soft play!

Which reminds me, Stuffy's video changed (the original one is above, but it now features the soft play). Wonder why he got a new video for his song, but the others remained the same... At least the songs are back, it was awful when there were no songs, and they had that awful Penelope thing!!!!

Uki (and the songs) were in the first series too I think. Penelope just popped up for one series, and it was all the poorer for it! (I hate that little blue thing!)

Hadn't noticed Miss Mouse's video change, will have to look out for it.

God my life has become so sad!

Son currently peep-po crazy so Toddler Tom does it for us. But goes really bananas for the shapes song from Mister Maker - go figure! Personally, I get great pleasure from PC Plum's song in Balamory - is wonderfully camp from the first and then plain hilarious when he emerges from Miss Hoolie's house having stolen her handbag singing, "I've found your handbag"

I loves to show us her groovy moves too, def tops all the other songs.

Am picturing the crying like George!!!

I found Peppa Pig on Nikleodeon this morning, was fab as I got to drink hot tea but the adverts in between were awful!!! Loads of toys clearly intended for Christmas lists!!

I know. T likes a couple of programmes on Milkshake (Channel 5) in the mornings (Peppa, Fifi & the flowertots, Little Princess), but the ad breaks are absolutely awful!

I got a 3 DVD Peppa collection, with about 30 episodes on it. Problem is, she's wise to it, and once you put one on for her, she wants the whole DVD! Isn't Peppa a vile little thing too!!! George is cool though.

Miss Mouse is a subtle reworking of the ancient certainties of traditional storytelling, one that revolves around the central line, "Don't be frightened Momo, the giant is our friend".

The song moves from the comfort of a tea party to a dystopian vision of random peril, with the children cast first as ineffectual bystanders, and then as actual perceived agents of wrong doing. By placing the children within this Lilliputian setting, the writers transform the infants themselves into monstrous giants, giving them and us new awareness of the giant's usual characterisation; the cast-out who is left alone, despised and feared.

This Swiftian inversion is further re-inforced by the casting of the mouse as the agent of miraculous change and rescue. Miss Mouse repeatedly insists on us acknowledging her presence "it was me", and in doing so demands of the children that they recognise that real change can only be brought about by taking responsibility for ones actions. "Who did it?" "It was me"

The song ends with a revisited tea party, a coda of wisdom for all parties, where the simple act of caring and sharing for each other has taken on new significance.

The song can only be viewed as a heartfelt plea for mutual understanding and as a plea for enlightenment thinking, rather than the fear of, and the placing of faith in, externalised, supernatural forces.

"Don't be frightened Momo, the giant is our friend"

I should be doing CPD points, instead I'm chuckling at this!

George is cool and Peppa is not! I agree!

I've downloaded some episodes on YouTube before now, no adverts then but same problem that I knows there are more where that came from!

I don't get waybuloo or in the night garden at all ....... Enlightenment anyone? I'm loving the miss mouse theory, can't believe I missed it ;-)

Ha ha ha brilliant thread. We love Show Me Show Me. Favourite songs are Groovy Moves and Miss Mouse. R loves working out who's missing/hiding at the beginning.

However, recently he's rediscovered a CBeebies DVD with an episode of Balamory. Cue the music being on constant replay in my head ever since. M does it all day long in full-on Scottish accent too.

buggie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh cripes yes... Makka Pakka & his OCD, Iggle

> Piggle's anxiety/narcolepsy not to mention the

> inadequate social housing offered to the

> Pontipines and don't get me started on Upsy

> Daisy...!

ITNG works best as an exploration of the development of the self.

Upsy Daisy is a pure egotist. She must claim all aspects of Upsiness and Daisyness for herself: "I'm the only Upsy one, I'm the only Daisy too". Iggle Piggle's refrain is more querying, "Yes my name is Iggle Piggle..." but then, as if unsure, he tries out other possibilities "Igglepiggle, niggle, wiggle, diggle". One asserts only she can be called her name, the other wonders what he would be if he were called something else. They are equally bound by our fears of nominative determinism.

The Tombliboos represent our desire for the forbidden other - the self we cannot be. Jesters in the court of Upsy Daisy, their absurdity (Knock on the door/sit on the floor/here is my nose/that's how it goes), menage-a-trois sleeping arrangements and slack trouser elastic clearly indicating the attractive liminality of licensed misrule.

Makka Pakka is what we have been, and will become - yelping absurdities to an uncaring world. Entirely unrealised, he is the negation of self.

The Wottingers and the Pontypines know only that "We" are red, and "They" are blue (or vice versa), defining themselves as what they are not, and ignoring their inherent similarities. (Is there is a purple "Pontinger" buried in an unmarked infant's grave in the Garden?) They represent our doomed struggle with the possibility of a plurality of self. We must be red, or blue. Not both. And never purple.