Pre-dinner drinks

Marmora Man

Where can I take friends next weekend for quiet, elegant, pre dinner drink(s) in or close to East Dulwich? I'm thinking cocktails, cool jazz, sophisticated clientele. Problem is that it's 6 Nations day - prepared to travel but no too far.

Alternatively, is there somewhere else that serves good cocktails that's more "urban gritty" to give my country cousins a thrill?

You can also reserve a table(s) at H.O.T. - we had pre-dinner drinks there having booked the seats and table in the window, it isn't too noisy early on.

They'll make any cocktail you ask for not just those on the menu like some places (though the Old Fashioned, with their honeycomb liqueur, is very fine) and the snacks (by way of pre-dinner canapes) are pretty good too.

Went to beauberry house on Friday. Nice food but I wouldn't bother just for drinks. Not until the weather gets better. We arrived to a very cold and empty bar. Had to ask if they were open. After I said it was freezing they put on the gas fire and music. It still felt like it was closed as there were boxes piled on one of the tables and no one else there. I can't fault the food in the restaurant though. The bar just needs some atmosphere and a good sprucing up.

I went to HoT on Saturday. It was very busy in the late afternoon, with people having a combination of coffees / cakes or pre-dinner drinks. It was a nice atmosphere.

The staff are always friendly, and the cocktails are great. Good for both pre- and post-dinner drinks!

Go to Peckham behind the famous Pakistani fish shop, there is a alley adjacent, go inside the alley for 200 meters you will come to a pile of cardboard boxes and you will see a blue door.

Go inside (no need to knock) there is a residence of Kurdish asylum seekers on the first floor but just above there is a place called Les Monsieurs et Madames here is a very sophisticated establishment full of elegant clientele.

The decor is mesmerising and the level of sophistication of the clientele is such that when they pass wind it brings to mind the scent of eau de cologne.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Went to HoT on Saturday - 5 gin martinis, two Manhattans and one tonic later we were all agreed they make a good cocktail. The second martini using Berry Bros No.3 gin was truly excellent. The barman / manager was helpful and knowledgeable - advising us on different gins & rums.

Liked the way they served the cocktails in small glasses with the remainder kept cool in a small iced bottle. Very stylish.