Comparison of butchers in E Dulwich and nearby

With all the horse meat scandal I thought I would make more of an effort to use local butchers.

I usually go to WR for specific things I know I like from there, like braising steak, sauasages and rump steak but still end up getting other things from supermarkets.

Also I find they are not so good for cheaper cuts e.g. of lamb- have been advised to use expensive lamb steaks for a slow cooked curry for example so ended up getting it from supermarket.

I haven't tried Sparkes as concerned about the cost I suppose as no prices, will have to try and ask. Went to Flock and Herd but the time I went they didn't seem to have much in.

Anyone tried Billings? The Butchery? I know there are some threads about WR already but they are a bit old now. Has anyone tried several of the options and can make a comparison?

Libretto's in Wood Vale is to my mind the best local butcher - great care is taken in sourcing his meat (Kim buys from the same suppliers in Smithfield, the same farm for his turkeys etc.) and he really knows his business. It takes time to shop there, he doesn't pre-cut his meat, leaving it as much as possible in the piece until it is needed. His home-made sausages are excellent, as are the 'bought' sausages he also supplies. He also happens to be the largest stockist of Tiptree jams in SE London. His mince is all in-shop prepared - from carcases he has bought-in. He will also give advice at to cooking times and even methods, if asked. He has been trading from the same premises for 30 years. His hours are (for 2013) eccentric - closed on Mondays, half days Wednesday and Saturday, normally takes 5 weeks off over August. Old fashioned hours are matched by old-fashioned quality and service. I have been a customer for 25 of those 30 years. Wouldn't go anywhere else.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Libretto's in Wood Vale is to my mind the best

> local butcher - great care is taken in sourcing

> his meat (Kim buys from the same suppliers in

> Smithfield, the same farm for his turkeys etc.)

> and he really knows his business. He has been trading from the

> same premises for 30 years. Old fashioned hours are matched by

> old-fashioned quality and service. I have been a

> customer for 25 of those 30 years. Wouldn't go

> anywhere else.

This sounds great- will definitely give them a try

I think the butchers opposite the Plough are good - we've had some good meat from there & not expensive - he hasn't made such an effort with his window display & I wonder if not enough people know he is there - but it always seems crazy to me that there are queues round the block for William Rose on a Saturday when there's a perfectly good butcher 5 mins up the road with no queues!

Librettos is great- agree with penguin68 that the sausages are great - bacon is tasty and the best quality I've found. He's also good at recommending meats within budget. He also stocks black pudding and the shop itself is full of interesting bits and bobs to stare at when its busy.

Give Sparkes a go or at least DO ask them about the prices etc. They are very approachable and always willing to talk about their produce and tell you where it's from etc.

Some of their stuff is expensive because it is slow grown and organically reared (like the rib of beef and salt marsh lamb) but they do some great cheaper cuts - their belly pork for example is wonderful and the chicken wings, minced beef etc are all good.

Oh, and try the Clonakilty black and white puddings too - excellent with poached eggs.

The chap up at PLough on LL similarly to LIbretto has all sorts out the back, our bacon is often cut while we wait. His family have a farm in KEnt so lots of the produce is his own. Good price and saves loads of time not being in the queue at the more fashionable place down the road!

I agree Libretto for meat is the best, but his eccentricities mean the shop takes a looong time!

Craig opposite the Plough very good, and value for money. There's also 'Flock and Herd' just opened in Bellenden Rd, opposite the dry cleaners. Terrific choice, excellent meat, priced between Craig and Libretto.

Nainacox Wrote:

> The butcher on East Dulwich Grove is fantastic.

> All organics. Will never go back to supermarket

> meat again especially after the horse scandal.

Do you mean the William Rose branch that closed several months ago?

• 1 month later...

KidKruger Wrote:

> Place opposite Plough is a solid butcher / bizarre

> not having to wait in a queue when half a mile

> down the road people are waiting in line for 20-30

> mins !

I love these guys - really good quality and decent prices. Most importantly, when you ask for 10 sausages, you get 10, not 11. I like that. I also like the fact that there is no queue indeed.

I have regularly used W.Bunting run by three brothers (Chris, Mark and Vince)on Peckham Park Road, have always had great service and produce from there. Will orderanything you want and butcher on the premises so will cut whatever you ask for.