Crawthew Road closing for 18 months

Today I was emailed the attached Temporary Traffic Management Order starting on Monday and lasting for 18 months.

It's to enable building works in the NE corner between Spurling and Frogley - involves a basement swimming pool. I can't imagine whoever lives there will ever be popular with how they've treated the neighbourhood before moving in.

I've formally objected to this excessive road closure.

If you also think its OTT then please email the responsible council official and CC me...

[email protected]

0207 525 2014

That is bloody ridiculous.

A whole road closing, with massive inconvenience to the people who use it, just so some ****** (fill in asterisks as you will) can have a bloody BASEMENT SWIMMING POOL?

Closing for EIGHTEEN MONTHS???

There's an f-ing leisure centre with a swimming pool within a stone's throw of Crawthew Road!

Is this what ED has come to? I feel my urge to move to Nunhead increasing by the minute .....

:( :( :(

ETA: Please tell me I'm in a time warp, and it's actually April Fool's Day .....

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Darn it, maybe I'll reconsider my basement pool on

> CP Rd.

xxxxxx

What, and get CPR closed for eighteen months as well?!

The whole of ED will be in lockdown soon :))

Or flooded .....

womanofdulwich Wrote:

> It does say up to 18 months.

> Sometimes public authorities can only deal with

> long time frames. eg My fathers blue badge was

> going to take up to 40 days to process- and came 6

> days later.

> Just sayin....

xxxxx

Ah, OK, I was going by the title of the thread, hadn't noticed the "up to".

More positive potentially in this case than the "up to 99% off" version, I feel.

Actually it says this:

7. Works will form part of a rolling programme and will be expected to commence on 2nd December 2013 for a maximum period of 18 months. The dates specified are for guidance and informative purposes only and works may extend outside these dates.

Extraordinary.

redjam Wrote:

The dates

> specified are for guidance and informative

> purposes only and works may extend outside these

> dates.

xxxxxx

So never mind eighteen months, it could be YEARS ?!?!?!

:(

I am not quite sure I believe this.

Living on Crawthew "between the eastern kerb line of Spurling.....etc", as I read it that means that whole section of road will be closed, possibly for 18 months from MONDAY and we are finding out now and only via an online forum that I happened to read today. No consultation, no letter through the door. I presume we will not be able to park there from Monday? How do the bin men, delivery drivers etc get through.

The works on that site have already been going for a year (they said initially it would be finished by now) and caused huge disruption already. This has got to be unprecedented. How on earth did they get this through?

Staggering.

I will send a complaint today as well.

Reading the guidance to the Road Traffic Act now, it seems like they can (at the council's discretion, without consultation given that it is temporary) although they are supposed to suitably inform those parties impacted.

I am not sure hey have done that.

I'm off work today - I will speak to the site manager who seems ok to be fair and see what the actual impact is likely to be. They do close the road from time to time when they have big trucks on site (a previous post complained about that), it could be they have this in place to allow them to do that when they need to - not 100% of the time.

...but it is still nuts they can do this.

When the Pool house owners finally move in, they are going to have to put on one hell of a welcoming party to appease the neighbours. This project is one of the most selfish, antisocial conceits I have come across. By what perverted process did the planning people let it go through?

As it is pretty bad on that corner already with the huge, unsightly portaloo block parked on the road making negotiating the corner dangerous and disrupting the residents I wonder if this might in fact be better/ safer? Southwark should look long and guard at the whole project and whether allowing a project with access via a narrow driveway was the right decision to begin with. It has been awful for the leople living there.

I have emailed Jenny Sargeant the following (I live just round the corner):

I understand that Crawthew Road is to be closed because somebody wants to build a swimming pool in their basement.

Please could you explain why residents, visitors and people who work in the area should be inconvenienced for such a very long time for the benefit of people owning one house, and how this swimming pool came to get planning permission in the first place?

Thank you.

I don't think the planning permission is an issue in itself... what somebody wants to build under their own land is there own business, as long as it is structurally sound. But I find it almost impossible to believe that a public road could be closed for 18 months for a private development project like this.