Are you allowed to drive on Rye Lane at all?

Hi there,

I have been going through the threads and have seen a lot of other people have been fined on the Rye Lane no entry thing, but here is my case, which I would appreciate your comments on, if I have done wrong??

Last Wednesday I went to pick my friend up from Peckham Rye station. I was coming from Barry Road, and heading along Peckham Rye.

I know that you are not allowed to turn down Rye lane at the intersection of this and Copeland Road, so here are the turns that I took, and now I have a ?60 fine:

From Peckham Rye, veered right onto Copeland Road

Followed Copeland Road around, then turned left onto Bournmouth road

Turned right from Bournmouth road onto Rye Lane,

Turned left off Rye Lane onto Holly Grove and picked my friend up here

Turned around onto Elm Grove, then turned right again on Rye Lane

Drove to the end of Rye Lane, then back onto Peckham Rye and then back home

I was aware of the one way system as well, and was following my satnav so I didnt turn down the wrong street, but ended up with this traffic fine.

I know what I have done wrong is probably plainly obvious, but as I am new to the area, I really had no idea what was right and what was wrong.

Next time, my buddies can catch the bus from the train station!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Trent

[pre]

Drove to the end of Rye Lane, then back onto Peckham Rye and then back home

[/pre]

This may have been your only infringement. You cannot cross straight from Rye Lane onto Peckham Rye, but must bear left onto Copeland Rd, then turn right, right and right again onto Heaton Rd, before turning left onto Peckham Rye. Hopefuly the bus lane cameras missed you.

boosboss Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > Drove to the end of Rye Lane, then back onto

> Peckham Rye and then back home

>

>

>

> This may have been your only infringement. You

> cannot cross straight from Rye Lane onto Peckham

> Rye, but must bear left onto Copeland Rd, then

> turn right, right and right again onto Heaton Rd,

> before turning left onto Peckham Rye. Hopefuly the

> bus lane cameras missed you.

Boosboss is right.

I got fined for this 2 weeks ago. I went back to check on the signs / visibility etc and it's pretty much non-contestable.

You could try and get really legal /technical ( a google search on "Peckham Rye traffic fine" etc etc will point you to a useful website) but I have neither the time nor the patience to contest this and so just gave up the ?60. Grrrr.

I got fined for this a while ago. It's a legitimate fine but there's absolutely no warning of the fact that it's only buses that can cross directly from Rye Lane to Peckham Rye until you've reached the junction and committed the offence. A little sneeky if you ask me.

I have just come through there on a bus, and the signs are clearly showing Buses only, with big no entry signs

I agree that a sign saying all other vehicles turn left here would be useful, but they aren't there and I suspect that the council won't install them without a lot of demand.

From a stand point of traffic management, Rye Lane should really not be used as a through way as the system has been designed to make it as hard as possible to go from one end to the other (one way system going north at the north end, no entry at the southern end)... this obviously has the effect of reducing traffic on the lane, but does make it harder to pick someone up from the station or to collect bulky goods from the stores.

It is a concensus from the trading community of Peckham that something needs to be done to Rye Lane to make it more friendly and one suggestion that I have heard is to make the southern end (from Hannover) one way going south with north bound buses going around the back via the one way system to Hannover. It would make bus journeys slightly longer and require a bus stop at the end of Bournemouth road, but it would allow for a smooth flow of buses and delivery vehicles one way along the southern end of the lane, whilst providing the ability for loading bays along one side and wider pavements all the way down.

Would be interesting to see what other people's ideas / comments are on how to improve traffic flow on Rye Lane. (note Please don't suggest demolition, bulldozers or anything like that ...)

Not wishing to rub salt into the wound by any means but:

Turned around onto Elm Grove, then turned right again on Rye Lane

Isn't Elm Grove one-way? If you had turned right into it from Holly Grove and then turned right onto Rye Lane you would have been going the wrong way down a one-way street for an, admittedly short, distance. Is that correct or am I talking nonsense?

I got a fine for turning onto Rye Lane from Bournemouth Road because you can only do so between certain hours. Maybe this was the issue? The sign telling you this is back on Copeland Road, not bizarrely at the end of Bournemouth Road where it would be useful. I contested it and won

On Rye Lane you can drive where you like when you like and as long as you have a friend who work's for Southwark as a parking warden you will be fine! Drive on the pavement, do wheel spins in Morrisons car park, welcome to Peckham!

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

> On Rye Lane you can drive where you like when you

> like and as long as you have a friend who work's

> for Southwark as a parking warden you will be

> fine! Drive on the pavement, do wheel spins in

> Morrisons car park, welcome to Peckham!

>

> Louisa.

Interesting observation and generalism Louisa, or do you speak from your own personal experience of doing all that..:))

prdarling , I think you will find that the time restrictions related to the old system of rising bollards (installed by the Peckham Programme team of Southwark Council, and withdrawn a short while later as they were a complete disaster) and that there are now no time restrictions for entering the lane (although I may well be corrected on this)

trentk69 Wrote:

> I was aware of the one way system as well, and was

> following my satnav so I didnt turn down the wrong

> street, but ended up with this traffic fine.

>

> I know what I have done wrong is probably plainly

> obvious, but as I am new to the area, I really had

> no idea what was right and what was wrong.

>

> Next time, my buddies can catch the bus from the

> train station!

>

> Thanks in advance for your comments.

>

> Trent

SatNav systems are not always correct. I have tried to follow them before and ended up nearly going the wrong way downa oneway street or turning right when there is no right turn allowed. You should never just blindly follow a satnav - especially in London.

You are right - the junction is plastered with signs making it clear cars are not allowed to cross just there. You do wonder whether the eyesight and/or the attention of the drivers who miss them all are so bad they ought not to be driving cars!