Travellers (no longer) on Dulwich Hospital site

Yesterday I posted the following in the thread about travellers on Peckham Rye, so I will repeat it here in a new thread so as to separate the two situations. "We overlook the Dulwich Hospital site. There are presently 8 vans parked, with more vehicles continuing to arrive. The fence was broken through for access. There appear to be several children playing on what must be unsafe land. I have spoken to Security at the hospital, also to the police who said that they attended the site, that they have already received many other calls, that the Council had also been informed, and that the only way that the travellers can be evicted is if the land owners get a Court Order. We intend to go to Helen Hayes MP's constituency surgery this Friday in East Dulwich to speak to her about it. We fully support the plans to redevelop the site, and we are very disappointed and concerned that the present traveller situation could delay this".

To update this, I spoke to the Council this afternoon and they said that it was hoped to secure an eviction by the end of Thursday. I also told them that this morning I had seen the travellers starting to dump piles of rubbish in two places on the site, offloaded from dumper trucks, which is still going on. It does not appear to be domestic rubbish, as it is doors, planks of wood etc. The Council said that when the travellers have left the site, the rubbish would be cleared. We are very unhappy about this development.

The travellers left the site this morning. I understand that security has already been put in place at the Jarvis Road entrance, which is where the travellers gained access. However, the piles of rubbish remain. I will post again when the rubbish has gone.

Some of you might have heard that a group of Travellers had got into

the Dulwich Hospital site earlier in the week, so please be assured

that our local East Dulwich Ward team, along with the council and the

NHS, acted extremely efficiently and therefore the site was cleared

this morning with no problems.

From this point onwards there will be 24-hour security on the site,

which will be visible from the Jarvis Road gated entrance. This will

consist of a caravan site office and security patrols with dogs.

The security company is called Cushman & Wakefield and they are

encouraging local residents to engage with them and feel free to

report any concerning activities to them as well as phoning 101 or

999 as appropriate.

The phone number I have on the card of Sean Watson, the Regional

Manager, that I was given is 020 3296 3818 or their main number is

020 3296 3000, in case any local resident wants to phone and make

contact with a view towards determining the best way to liaise.

Rubbish was dumped on at least three different parts of the EDH site, all between Monday afternoon and last night. Possibly there could be more that's not visible from outside. I'm attaching a photograph of the largest one I could see, taken from East Dulwich Grove. It also shows the fence, between the hospital and the school sides of the site, part of which was broken down.

At least seven of the vehicles that left the site this morning were waste collection trucks like the one in the second photograph.

[The edit was to replace photo 2 with a version with registration number blanked]

It's exactly why they have such a bad reputation and communities do not want them.

And then there are those in our community who see the good and are welcoming, only to have this.

While no one is expecting the travelers to integrate, there are certain things they should do, rather than treating land as a dump and expecting it to be cleared.

I cannot believe the racism that is implicit in pretty much every comment on this thread. Whatever the truth, or lack of, behind the comments being made, imagine how quick to condemn we would be if ed-nagaiutb's comment was made about any other minority group.

ED - NAGAIUTB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Its the thieving messy 99% that give the 1% a bad

> name.

And it's nasty prejudiced posters like you who give this forum a bad name.

ETA: There is lots of mess and litter left after music festivals, for example, by many people who are not from the travelling community.

But you don't rush to condemn them, on here, do you? They don't conveniently fit your prejudices, do they?

What upsets me about the travellers is the rubbish piling up . I've not seen the hospital site but the rye is just awful ! Things would definitely help the relationships between everyone if all of the site they were squatting in was treated with respect and kept clean and not used as a dumping ground !

It is not good, obviously.

But just because one group of travellers has left a load of rubbish does not mean that all travellers are the same.

It is lumping everybody together which is wrong, not criticising the behaviour of one relatively small group of people.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ED - NAGAIUTB Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Its the thieving messy 99% that give the 1% a

> bad

> > name.

>

>

> And it's nasty prejudiced posters like you who

> give this forum a bad name.

>

> ETA: There is lots of mess and litter left after

> music festivals, for example, by many people who

> are not from the travelling community.

>

> But you don't rush to condemn them, on here, do

> you? They don't conveniently fit your prejudices,

> do they?

I don't have any prejudices at all, thank you. However, going from both personal and anecdotal experience, sadly this experience we've had to suffer locally is par for the course.

And I don't know how you get to your ridiculous music festival analogy. One is legal and pays to be cleaned up after, the other is illegal fly tipping. No correlation whatsover. You might as well say that all drug dealers are good just because they are a 'group' too and that saying drug dealers are bad is racist too.

It's the professionally offended like you that allow these situations to go unchecked.