The new-look Forest Hill Tavern (I)

I was just walking past the Forest Hill Tavern - as I do, when I'm going to the veggie shop - and couldn't resist popping in to have a look at its refurb.

The FHT has always looked so grim and ever-so-slightly scary that I've not been in it before - so can't really compare and contrast - but they've done a pretty good job in there and created a nice airy, almost wine-bar-ish, feel with dark brown leather seats, wood panelling, nice ceiling etc. There's also a big new decking area at the back, with trees and loads of outdoor tables, which could be lovely on balmy summer evenings... Oh, and it's already no smoking :)-D.

I got chatting to the manager Kevin, and he tells me that they're starting serving food there this weekend, with a Sunday roast. They've also got both a late licence and a live music licence... so of course I couldn't resist dropping off my card ;-). some live music outside in the summer could be really nice there, I reckon.

In short: could be a good new place to patronise, for those of us over this way...

We wandered past last week. Written on the sandwichboard outside was: "SMART CASUAL DRESS ONLY".

Reading between the lines, I think this means "IF THIS USED TO BE YOUR PUB, WE'D RATHER NOT HAVE YOU BACK"

Unfortunately (for me, anyway) 'smart casual dress' conjures-up unpleasant memories of rubbish nightclubs I went to when I was 16.. with lots of carpet and chrome and under-agers wearing their older brother's jackets and slacks.

Yes, sorry I must have a bit of snappyness left over from yesterday's foul mood.

Echoing Sean's offer, you really should come along Louisa, it'd be great to finally meet you, err, not that I can make the next one. The one after that is a cert though.

I'll behave myself in future regards 'kafkaesque', so amissian of me ;-P

Do you think they might entertain the idea of a rock band playing there, or will it all be jazz? *points fingers* "Nice" ;-)

I'd love to do a local gig..... Do need to get the band up and running again though... :-S

MP - don't get me wrong - I wasn't saying ther was anything wrong with the phrase Kafka-esque

But the dunderheads at work took it to mean I was a fith columnist or something - they didn't even know what it mean but knew it was "odd"

R\eminds me of the Guardian journalist who travelled on a coach full of Millwall fans up to see Leicester play at their old stadium Filbert St. The coach broke down somewhere in the Leicester burbs and they were following their noses when the journalist said "Ah look - this street is called Macademia St - another type of nut so Filbert St must be close by - we're on the right track everyone"

Everyone seemed pleased and pressed on but he overheard one Milwall fan mutter to another "what sort of c*** knows Filbert is a type of nut?"

True story

And yes Keef you should!

Oh sure, Keef - in fact a "rawk" band would perhaps be more in keeping with the place... Or maybe an acoustic night or something. Again, like jazzers, there seem to be lots of singer-songwriters in the SE London area - so could be a good new spot for people to play. It's certainly a good size for it.

(PS. Note that I ignored the slightly insulting "nice" comment. Except that, damn, now I've gone and acknowledged it. D'oh!)

Wasn't meant to be insulting, just a playful dig... Trumpet was my main study instrument, so I was forced to play a lot of jazz stuff that I hated.... Never got over it, so all of jazz is dead to me ;-)

Aaaanyway, acoustic stuff could be nice, I play quite a lot with another poster on this forum.... However, I think some dirty loud rock would be cool! >:D<

Ah, I shall take it in the spirit with which it was intended, then, Keef :).

Just getting any live music going locally would be great... I may be a jazzer, but will go and see and support pretty much anything. Yes - *even* dirty loud rock.

Incidentally - I dropped off some promo posters at the FHT earlier this evening, and

a) They're having their big relaunch tonight - cheesy disco ahoy! (probably. there'll be DJs from 9pm. whether they turn out to be cheesy or not remains to be seen);

b) Kevin is the owner, not the manager. my mistake. the manager is Peter, and he said that yes, they intend to put bands on there. so get thee down there, Keef! Erm, once you've set up a band, that is. If you need anyone on vocals or tambourine, let me know.