The new-look Forest Hill Tavern (I)

I shall venture in at some point to experience the newly refurbed and annoyingly pretentious makeover to this great old pub, perhaps on a forum evening, just so I can confirm what I already thought about this!

Gosh Louisa,

Lovely girl, you seem to hate everyone today! Perhaps it is that time on a Saturday afternoon to just pop the washing machine on the spin cycle and jump right on...

Don't hold back sweetie, a little enjoyment could bring back the blush to your cheeks!

DM

Having seen the inside, believe me, it's not pretentious! It's a bit like an airy pub you'd find in the West End, and I can see it attracting a more down-to-earth type than, say, the arty crowd of something like Inside 72. I actually much prefer the feel of the latter than the new-look FHT, but I still think it's better than being a very unappealing, grotty pub that you'd never want to drink in. Plus, like I say, with a new look hopefully comes a new lease of live music-promoting life :). which can only be a good thing, no?

I called in on saturday - the refit has been very well done - lots of original features preserved, friendly staff, relaxed seating areas and a great outdoor space.

Not sure what the old school locals will make of it, but it is a welcome addition and makes my list of favourite pubs in ED.

I think it will need to bed in for a longer period before it makes it to my top 3 but it definitely has bags of potential and is doing lots right

I went in Sun lunchtime and had a very pleasant experience all round, with one exception.

For the first 45 mins the music played over the PA took me back to growing up in rural Ireland. And I don't mean that in a good way. I never thought I would be relieved to hear Paul Weller but when the music changed so did my mood

Very friendly staff I thought as well - the kitchen was (as is usual with new pubs) struggling to cope and they handled customers very well

I would like to say to Chantoozie, "Well done for the gig on Sunday night". Mr Madworld74 and I, were there and we loved the place and the music.

Infact Louisa, before you pass judgment on something you obviously have no idea about, why don't you go into the pub and see for yourslef. Even better, why don't you do as Mr MW74 and I did, and speak to the proprietors; Kevin and Ann, who were there Sunday night welcoming all into the new style pub.

We spoke to them for some time about what the 'old' pub used to be like and their reasons for re-vamping it. They came across as people who cared about the building, had a wish to fill a gap in the market and smarten up the place by getting rid of the drugs and violence that used to haunt the 'old' FHT. Infact, they said the place was in danger of being shut down because of all the trouble.

I wish them well! and Chantoozie, the jazz on a Sunday night coould go down very well as a regular thing.

DM I just cant understand how all these changes are seen as positive that's all... I will dig out an old tupperware pot and hide under the old wartime shelter in the garden and hope that this was all a bad dream and i'll wake up in ED circa 1997 and everything will be back to normal..!!

Its so nice to see that so many people in the local community are getting behind the new FHT. Although its not the finished article as of yet, its most definately moving in the right direction.

As for the year Louisa,it is 2007. Time moves on...

We popped in Saturday for a planned one pinter waiting for Omrith to cook our tea and it was fine. As of now it is what it is - a newly refurbed slightly bland place trying to be something but which needs time to settle down.

Probably worth persisting with I'd say.

Moreover,

I'd like to personally apologise to AnotherPaul. I'm sorry if you were offended. My comment regarding the Gowlett was uncalled for. In fact, I have visited the Gowlett on many occasions and have enjoyed what it has to offer. My flippant remark came from the fact that I am someone who believes that new ventures should be nurtured rather than simply shot down. Of course you are entitled to your opinion. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone elses.That's one of the great things about this forum. It gives the people of East Dulwich the chance to exchange different points of view and enter into meaningful discussions.

As I mentioned previously, I do not work/manage/own the FHT. I just have a boring middle of the road job in the city like thousand of others. Yes, I'm that boring! I've only been talking about the FHT as its new and a 5 min walk away. Yes, I'm lazy too! There are many other pubs and bars I enjoy going to. I like the Bishop a lot. I go there most Friday nights and really enjoy the atmosphere and decor. I also like the ED. I like the fact that it has remained traditional , yet at the same time, has kept itself up-to-date (does that make sense?). Also, from time to time I go with my boyfriend to the Herne. The food there has always been of great quality and the staff are very friendly and always remember our names.

I hope that there is no bad bllod between us - especially Tilly - as I think that this forum is a wonderful sounding board for Dulwich and I want to continue to be part of it,

Yours Apologetically,

Serenity x

Yay Serenity

Glad you came back and clarified that for us - and just because you have a job in the city doesn't make you boring; as you point out it just makes you like us.. oh, wait..

Since you first posted I think you'll see a few of us have pretty much concurred with a lot of what you have said but it's really good to see you bounce back (and you also recanted on the Gowlett for bonus points)

Ill probably see you down the FHT soon ish then

Dear Serenity,

Of course there wouldnt be any bad blood. In recent times on the Forum, there have been various comebacks from local proprietors that didnt do them any favours and I (suspecting that you were attached in some way to the FHT) was trying to advise you against such an approach.

This forum is all about debate and sharing of opinions and you are quite within your right to express yours as much as anyone else.

Anyway, happy endings! Hello and welcome.

:))

Hi Serenity,

I have to admit that when I read through your posts on this thread I too thought you were an in some way managerially connected the the FHT. As TillieTrotter said there have previously been comebacks from local proprietors, some who have had a go their customers for criticising but some have answered their local critics and therefore improved their business. Yours did look like the former but thanks for your last post and clearing it up.

Perhaps after the next Forum drinks at Hoopers on July 6th the next one should be at the FHT?

:)-DHi Mark,

I'm the owner of the newly refurbished Forest Hill Tavern. Just learned of this site. Glad to see that the changes have created some interest. I will watch this site to see what you all think of the new look. Any suggestions will be considered as what will this bar be without satisfied customers. It is early days but the food offering seems to be going down well (pardon the pun). We are trying to get together regular live music but this is taking some organising. We have arranged for live jazz this Sunday. Jimmy will be playing from 6 to 9. Thank you all for all of your comments, look forward to meeting you in the future. Hope you didn't mind me comming onto this site. Let me know if you do.

Kevin