Majestic plans to open new store at Dulwich

Mark

I don't know if it's East Dulwich but:

"In the first half of next year, Majestic [Wine Warehouse] plans to open new stores at Dulwich, Aberdeen, Colchester and near Reading"

Full article: Profits sparkle at Majestic

08.10 Mon Nov 13 2006

The Majestic wine warehouse chain has revealed a 17 per cent increase in half-year profits.

A demand for fine wines priced at ?20 and above saw average spend per transaction up ?6 to ?121.

The group, which has 133 stores - eight more than a year earlier - posted profits of ?6.5 million after total sales rose by ?7.5 million to ?88.3 million in the 26 weeks to September 26.

Like-for-like sales showed a rise of 6.2 per cent in the period, before slowing to growth of 4.3 per cent in the subsequent five-week period to October 30.

New sites have opened at Bicester, East Molesey and Cheam and a store opened at Leamington Spa in September, followed by two more this month at Lincoln and Huddersfield.

In the first half of next year, Majestic plans to open new stores at Dulwich, Aberdeen, Colchester and near Reading. Chief executive Tim How said: "I am very pleased with our first half performance and the rate of new store openings."

• 3 months later...
Not sure anybody's updated this, but...its going to be in the village (so doesn't count ;) Here's the dilema though; my friend is a trainee manager at Majestic, and he said he could get me a discount. Now, assuming this wasn't the real ale talking, what do I do. Shop, at discounted prices, at Majestic, or stick to Green and Blue (of which I am a bit of a fan....)

Dear Crystal,

Majestic apparently will open near my house, at the bottom of Alleyn Park where it joins onto Park Hall Road, outside the Village, - but none the less SE21. If you are laiden down with boxes of wine bottles (obviously not 'wine boxes'), I shall be happy to give you a lift in my SUV. The au pair may even help you to load up the aforementioned vehicle. When I can drink again after Lent, can I share your lovely discount with you sweetie?

I've often wondered how on earth the Majetic business model has any chance of success, but succeed it certainly seems to do. I guess the new branch will be in more direct competition with the village oddbins than our own fair G&B (I gather the new bar is working a treat).

Perhaps Southwark can lead the green revolution and lay on horse drawn omnibus service between East Dulwich and the village. We'll still have to plant a couple of trees to offset the horsies flatulent tendencies though.