Bombay Bicycle Club to open in Upper East Side

Nero

I have had the pleasure of a 'Bombay Bicycle Club' curry.

Some of our friends in Balham we droning on about it and finally forced one upon me. Needless to say the next time I was at their place I made sure they ordered some proper Indian / Pakistani food - for half the price. No more BBC for them after that.

There's nothing wrong with it. But it's still your typical English Curry fare. I'm sure they'll do very well here - just like all the others, inexplicably.

There isn't anywhere.

Ganapati (not even in ED) is the nearest thing worth bothering with, and they don't deliver (yet) - and they're expensive. But then that's what happens when there's no competition.

Coincidentally, we're off to the Mirch in Tooting (again) tonight. Terrible service. Fantastic food. Just the ticket.

Ganapati is the bo!!ocks (that's a good thing by the way).

There's a new take away one opened in Sydenham, it's very ordinary, but the do a meal deal where for a tenner you get any main, any rice, any nan, any side and popadoms. The great thing about it is they do all dorts of rice and nans. Like I say, they're nothing special, but they're no worse than average, and that is great value!!!

I'm with *Bob* in that no LL curry house is in the same league food-wise as places in Tooting, Whitechapel, Southall, Green Street etc. Of all of them, I like the Curry Cabin. Mirch Masala in Norbury used to be v good, but last time I went it had smartened up and the food was nothing special (tho still v cheap)

If it was anything like the last meal I had at the Coriander, then it was still overpriced. Possibly the worst curry I've ever had in my entire life. (Bar one notable monstrosity from somewhere in Camberwell.)

However, Keef says they're good and I trust his opinion, so perhaps they were just having a bad night that time.

I used to live more or less opposite the Bombay Bicycle Club in Balham. It was quite poshed up in terms of presentation etc, but really not worth the money. I agree with James that we could really do with something other than yet another curry house.

Jah Lush - I've been to most of the LL curry houses on many occasions - all pretty much the same except for Tandoori Nights (hardly traditional I'm sure but genuinely good food nonetheless), and the Coriander throw in some fresh herbs. Bob just seemed well informed so wondered if he had inside knowledge.

Nowt much wrong with the good old fashioned, syruppy English curry on LL if you ask me - none of this pretentious muck.

Ant Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> However, Keef says they're good and I trust his

> opinion, so perhaps they were just having a bad

> night that time.

I did rave about them, but that was only following one visit when Mrs Keef and I both really enjoyed it... That could've been catching them on a good night though... Maybe we both need to try them again and hopefully meet somewhere in the middle.

Speaking of Camberwell Curries, does anyone remember Nogar? I used to love that place. Not sure if it's still a curry house or not... It's definitely not the shabby old place with the fish tank that I knew and loved though.

I agree with Louisa about the BBC at Maida Vale. But the one in Clarm was very nice, but that was about 8 years ago. I think I was more easily impressed with the high-end poshness, all white cloth and chandeliers than I would be now, but I still liked it. Anyway, anything that helps add value/re-generate that bit of LL is good. Nero