RE: Robbed (between the supermarket and Dog Kennel Hill)

thexwinglessxbird Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pirate, how awful!! You poor thing.

>

> For years I have cut through this park, mainly at

> night & can't help but always point out about the

> COMPLETE lack of lighting. We really must complain

> about this. It wouldn't hurt the environment to

> have a couple of solar energy lights down this

> path. It's rediculous that it hasn't already been

> thought up or done. It screams danger.

Why would cut through this park if it screams danger to you?

Ladymuck Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Last night all three gates of the park were

> firmly

> > chained up.

>

> Yes, and they forgot to unchain one set of them by

> 1.00pm today!

xxxxxxx

Oh dear. Maybe, like me originally, they thought there were only two gates :)

Which one was still chained up?

Clearly the miscreants involved are not troubled by the lack of light. I understand it is because they have polished their corneas like Riddick out of Near Dark!

An alternative to chaining the place up would be to send in a decoy, apparently vulnerable but armed to the teeth, who could lure the buggers out with the promise of easy pickings and then nab/clobber the lot.

Domitianus Wrote:

> An alternative to chaining the place up would be

> to send in a decoy, apparently vulnerable but

> armed to the teeth, who could lure the buggers out

> with the promise of easy pickings and then

> nab/clobber the lot.

How about tomorrow night then Domitianus? ;-)

Pirate78 - what an awful experience, I hope that you recover from this very soon. I have always been a little apprehensive about taking that short cut on my own and this is a sad reminder not to be complacent, thank you for posting the warning on here.

Ladymuck Wrote:

> Domitianus Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > An alternative to chaining the place up would

> be

> > to send in a decoy, apparently vulnerable but

> > armed to the teeth, who could lure the buggers

> out

> > with the promise of easy pickings and then

> > nab/clobber the lot.

>

> How about tomorrow night then Domitianus? ;-)

I am dusting down my Batman outfit as I type (I believe you women call that 'multi-tasking' and make a big deal out of it!)

I avoid the park short-cut at any time.

Even the road route is dark, there just seems to be so little lighting there. I've had to run into the road and into the traffic coming out of Sainsbury's DKH on one occasion to try to shake off a couple of guys who seemed to be after me. If you are on foot, going to Sainbury's is fairly unfriendly, all things considered. One reason I hardly go there.

Below is the reply I just got from Sainsburys. Sounds like they'll do something but I don't understand why they need to discuss lighting with the councilor when it's their park so I assume they should be footing the bill.

Dear Sophie

Thanks for your email. I'm sorry that the park next to our store is posing a problem to customer?s safety. I understand that this is worrying as many of our customers use the park as access to the store.

I have called the store and spoke to the Deputy Manager David who confirmed that the Dulwich store and in negotiation with the councilor to get the park lights installed. For the moment the park gates will be locked at dusk to help prevent any customers being assaulted endangering themselves. This is done each evening by one of the store security guards.

We're grateful for your feedback as it helps us improve our products and services. I hope that you see a change soon and customers feel safer on their way home.

We look forward to seeing you in store soon.

Dear all

I've been asked to look into this on a separate thread http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,420686,429355,page=3#msg-429355 but thought it would also make sense to post it here. I?m sorry to hear about what happened Pirate78 ? it sounds awful.

I?ve been in touch with Veronica Ward, one of the Labour councillors for South Camberwell. They have been talking to Sainsbury?s about this for some time. Sainsbury?s are meant to ensure that the park is closed when it is dark, but they have been careless about opening and closing times.

Unfortunately the management at Sainsbury?s has changed over time and there is no corporate memory of earlier discussions with the councillors and the community about the park.

The person currently at Sainsbury?s that Veronica has been in touch with is Pete Brown. I will add my voice to Veronica?s and ask him to see that this is resolved, highlighting the recent incident. It always helps though if others are able to lobby him (or other members of the Sainsbury?s management) when in the store.

If Sainsbury?s can't look after the gates then we will ask them to provide lighting. (The response to sophiesofa's suggests they are considering this - whether this is in response to the recent incident or something longer term I don't know).

I will let you know if I hear anything else.

Very best

Oliver

Thanks Oliver and well done Sophie. Sophie, who was it at head office you contacted? I will contact them separately to add my concerns and keep the pressure on and I'm only sorry it took a nasty incident to get me to do this. (Sorry Pirate78, hope you're ok)

sophiesofa Wrote:

> Thanks ladymuck lets just hope they sort out the

> lights asap.

Yes...I shall be taking a leaf out of your book and filling out a complaint's form when I do my big shop tomorrow...it can't hurt...though (granted) I should have done it earlier.