Have you ever got your oven cleaned by professionals?

Nate

I've been wanting to get my oven professionally cleaned but I'm holding back for now. Has anyone got theirs done? What is the difference from getting your own hands dirty and clean it yourself? Is it worth the money at the end of the day?

To answer your questions in order.

Yes.

The difference is amazing. It looks like a newly installed oven.

Absolutely definitely for me. ?60.00 for about 2-3 hours dirty greasy work, seems more than reasonable!

We always use Oven Sheen, very nice chap, based in West Norwood (I think).

Why not just ask your cleaners to do it?

If being a cleaner of ovens is a viable enough business proposition that there are at least 3 firms on here recommended, I am going into the over cleaning business.

A bit of Mr Muscle, half an hour and some elbow grease and it's not difficult to get an oven looking like new.

Shame on you for letting your oven get in to such a mess that you need to consider "professional" services!!! Tut tut!

No really, if you're happy to spend money on someone else doing it then go for it... I'm not sure, unless there is some kind of special thing only a cleaning professional has hidden up their sleeve, that there would be much difference from doing it yourself - except maybe your sanity and no aches to yourself of course.

Obviously if you're not physically capable of doing it for whatever reason the above doesn't apply ::)

I've had my oven professionally cleaned once (in eight years) - for Christmas just gone. The end result was a world away from what I feel I could do myself, even with a bit of elbow grease. They (Hither Green) took off the door, cleaned out all the bits I can't get to because of the door, cleaned around and behind the element and basically got my oven back to "as new" condition. I wouldn't do it regularly but as a one-off I was pretty impressed. I keep my oven clean week to week but obviously lack the skills/effort of others on here.

when you say oven clean - do you mean just for the oven/s or a cooker clean? When I telephoned Hither Green the woman I spoke to quoted me 70 for large and small oven then 10? for the cooker top, which is wipe clean ceramic, it is a slide in electric cooker. Was v expensive as I recall. I could not pin her down to what else would be cleaned, as I wanted the cooker slid out, and the whole cooker cleaned. I was told to wait until the cleaner arrived and ask him, or rather tell him what I wanted cleaning. If the cleaning is piece by piece it might be worthwhile buying a new cooker. It isn't filthy or disgusting, but has been stored and would benefit from a Spring clean. It doesn't make sense to me to clean an oven and leave the rest. Could anyone enlighten me, and possibly the OP please?

My oven was a standard fitted double oven - not a slide in electric cooker - so I guess not a like for like comparison. I used the friends/family 10% discount by booking the appointment with a close neighbour and paid less than ?70.

There's a decent description of what they do on the website - including the door/glass stuff which I couldn't have done myself. http://www.hithergreenovenclean.co.uk/our-services.php

I've never had professional oven cleaning before (always just did the horrible job myself), but, following recommendations on here, called in Hither Green Oven Clean. Matt came yesterday to tackle my 15 year old oven and... OMG! It literally looks new. Really worth the money. It cost ?60 for my double oven and he just worked nonstop for about 2 hours. You really couldn't get that same result yourself. Plus, he was just a really sweet guy, easy to have around, turned up exactly when he said he would. If I could find someone that good at their job, and nice to boot, for all the house maintenance jobs that crop up, I'd be very happy. Still looking for a similar plumber/electrician... :(

pollyanna you have an oven that is 15 years

old? is it still efficent? we have a 3 yo very expensive slide in all electric cooker and if we could pay someone to come, slide it forward, clean it properly, we would happily pay 100?? but unfortunamy most firms charge by the oven

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ?70 to clean an oven. ?60 for window cleaning.

> ?100 for scooping leaves out of gutter. Where will

> it end?

When it's ?15 for posh cheese on toast I'm out